Professional photographer looking for best possible monitor for precise photo editing

ahphoto

n00b
I'm a professional photographer and have spent the past few years saving up for an entirely new computer setup, which is very much needed at this point. These are my rough specs for a build, now I've just got to figure out which monitor to get to go with it. I'll be using this machine primarily for photo editing, although there will be some HD video editing as well. I've got several hundred thousand photos to edit and process and am looking for a monitor that will be as accurate and precise as possible for doing so.

I wasted countless hours fine-tuning and adjusting the color, brightness, saturation etc on thousands of photos on my old monitor back in the day only to one day realize that just about everything was off with that monitor and the way I'd been editing all the pictures for that screen made them look terrible on virtually every other monitor and display...so basically I want that never to happen again. I got the NEC MultiSync LCD1990SXi with Spectraview calibration software about 4.5 years ago in early '08 to ensure accuracy when editing my photos but it's quite aged at this point and is no longer calibrating to the specs that I set for it, plus the 1280 x 1024 resolution is a pain.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a new monitor that will be the best possible choice for a substantial amount of pro photo editing and will give me the best color, accuracy, display etc for the job. I'd like to keep the cost under $1,500 USD but can go higher if deemed necessary (at the cost of downgrading my build components to stay within the total budget).

At the moment I'm considering the following models (but am still very open to other suggestions) --

NEC PA241W-BK-SV ($1,079.99 from B&H)
NEC P241W-BK-SV ($849.95 from B&H)
NEC PA271W-BK-SV ($1,449.95 from B&H)
Eizo ColorEdge CG243W ($1,719.00 from B&H)

Of these, is there a clear winner for my type of work? Or perhaps another model that beats out all of these four?

I was originally just going to buy the PA241W and call it a day since it seemed to meet all my needs at a great price but after doing a bit more research I'm not so sure. There are numerous reports online of issues with backlight bleeding with the PA241W, although presumably I'd be able to return mine if I experienced that and get a replacement that doesn't have that issue. There also seem to be complaints about its black levels, which concerns me. In addition, there are also complaints about motion blur when viewing videos/movies or when gaming. This doesn't concern me as much since I'll primarily be using this for photo editing, but it's still a strike against this model. Lastly, there are reports of the anti-glare coating making everything appear unnaturally grainy, which sounds like it would interfere with precision photo editing (trying to correct grain in the photo that's not really there) -- but this seems to be an issue with all four models, so I don't think it's exclusive to the PA241, and I don't know how bad the grain actually is or how much it would really interfere with photo editing. I don't know if my current monitor (NEC LCD1990SXi) has the same anti-glare coating as these, but if it does then I can safely say it wouldn't be an issue since there's no noticeable grain with this screen.

The P241W has the advantage of being the least expensive of the bunch as well as being newer than the PA241 and overall the P241 seems to be better reviewed across the web than the PA241. I haven't found many complaints or negative reviews on the P241, nowhere near as many as with the PA241, but I imagine that may mostly come from the fact that the PA241 is considerably more reviewed in general since it's been around longer and there's more feedback for it. However, the PA241 supports wide gamut while the P241 does not, the PA241 has a 10-bit panel vs the P241's 8-bit panel, the PA241 has 1.07 billion displayable colors vs 16.7 million with the P241 and this video comparing the two shows that the viewing angle is considerably better on the PA241 than the P241 (assuming that that's the PA241 on the left...the video doesn't actually specify which is which). So I'm still sort of torn between the two.

Then there's the PA271W which I can't determine is worth the extra $370 over the PA241 or $600 over the P241. Ignoring the larger size, it seems to have the same advantages over the P241 that the PA241 has although the specs seem slightly worse for the PA271 than for the PA241 for some reason...but I don't know if it would result in any noticeable differences between the two. Also, the reviews for the PA271 seem more positive than for the PA241 but it's hard to tell if the PA271 suffers from the same drawbacks as the PA241 or not.

And finally there's the Eizo CG243W which is the best reviewed and seems to have the least issues but is also the most expensive, especially since it doesn't come with a calibration system like the NEC models do, so the total price ends up being around $1,900 - $2,000 when including the cost of a separate calibration system. (Note: I was able to find this monitor for $1,500 new on another site which makes it a more appealing option but the vendor isn't as reputable as B&H and the return policy isn't as good.)

Coming from the LCD1990SXi and comparing the specs of those 4 with this one, it seems clear that they would all offer a vast improvement over what I've got now, but I'm having a hard time deciding which would suit my needs the best and which would be the best investment, so if anyone here could help me out it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Whatever perceivable IQ advantages the Eizo might have over the NEC, I'd still rather get a 2560x1440 screen over those other 1080p/1200p monitors.

So I pick NEC PA271W. Plus I own it myself so I can directly vouch for it.

Whatever perceivable IQ advantages the Eizo might have over the NEC, I'd still rather get a 2560x1440 screen over those other 1080p/1200p monitors.

Thanks for the reply,
How noticeable would you say the grain from the anti-glare coating is on this monitor? Do you think it would interfere with photo editing at all?

What I can distinguish between PA and CG series is its sRGB Simulation Capability.

On the first glance, they look literally the same.

20120828031057.jpg

However, absolute colorimetric values tells the difference between them.

20120828031127.jpg

I'm a professional photographer and have spent the past few years saving up for an entirely new computer setup, which is very much needed at this point. These are my rough specs for a build, now I've just got to figure out which monitor to get to go with it. I'll be using this machine primarily for photo editing, although there will be some HD video editing as well. I've got several hundred thousand photos to edit and process and am looking for a monitor that will be as accurate and precise as possible for doing so.

I wasted countless hours fine-tuning and adjusting the color, brightness, saturation etc on thousands of photos on my old monitor back in the day only to one day realize that just about everything was off with that monitor and the way I'd been editing all the pictures for that screen made them look terrible on virtually every other monitor and display...so basically I want that never to happen again. I got the NEC MultiSync LCD1990SXi with Spectraview calibration software about 4.5 years ago in early '08 to ensure accuracy when editing my photos but it's quite aged at this point and is no longer calibrating to the specs that I set for it, plus the 1280 x 1024 resolution is a pain.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a new monitor that will be the best possible choice for a substantial amount of pro photo editing and will give me the best color, accuracy, display etc for the job. I'd like to keep the cost under $1,500 USD but can go higher if deemed necessary (at the cost of downgrading my build components to stay within the total budget).

At the moment I'm considering the following models (but am still very open to other suggestions) --

NEC PA241W-BK-SV ($1,079.99 from B&H)
NEC P241W-BK-SV ($849.95 from B&H)
NEC PA271W-BK-SV ($1,449.95 from B&H)
Eizo ColorEdge CG243W ($1,719.00 from B&H)

Of these, is there a clear winner for my type of work? Or perhaps another model that beats out all of these four?

I was originally just going to buy the PA241W and call it a day since it seemed to meet all my needs at a great price but after doing a bit more research I'm not so sure. There are numerous reports online of issues with backlight bleeding with the PA241W, although presumably I'd be able to return mine if I experienced that and get a replacement that doesn't have that issue. There also seem to be complaints about its black levels, which concerns me. In addition, there are also complaints about motion blur when viewing videos/movies or when gaming. This doesn't concern me as much since I'll primarily be using this for photo editing, but it's still a strike against this model. Lastly, there are reports of the anti-glare coating making everything appear unnaturally grainy, which sounds like it would interfere with precision photo editing (trying to correct grain in the photo that's not really there) -- but this seems to be an issue with all four models, so I don't think it's exclusive to the PA241, and I don't know how bad the grain actually is or how much it would really interfere with photo editing. I don't know if my current monitor (NEC LCD1990SXi) has the same anti-glare coating as these, but if it does then I can safely say it wouldn't be an issue since there's no noticeable grain with this screen.

The P241W has the advantage of being the least expensive of the bunch as well as being newer than the PA241 and overall the P241 seems to be better reviewed across the web than the PA241. I haven't found many complaints or negative reviews on the P241, nowhere near as many as with the PA241, but I imagine that may mostly come from the fact that the PA241 is considerably more reviewed in general since it's been around longer and there's more feedback for it. However, the PA241 supports wide gamut while the P241 does not, the PA241 has a 10-bit panel vs the P241's 8-bit panel, the PA241 has 1.07 billion displayable colors vs 16.7 million with the P241 and this video comparing the two shows that the viewing angle is considerably better on the PA241 than the P241 (assuming that that's the PA241 on the left...the video doesn't actually specify which is which). So I'm still sort of torn between the two.

Then there's the PA271W which I can't determine is worth the extra $370 over the PA241 or $600 over the P241. Ignoring the larger size, it seems to have the same advantages over the P241 that the PA241 has although the specs seem slightly worse for the PA271 than for the PA241 for some reason...but I don't know if it would result in any noticeable differences between the two. Also, the reviews for the PA271 seem more positive than for the PA241 but it's hard to tell if the PA271 suffers from the same drawbacks as the PA241 or not.

And finally there's the Eizo CG243W which is the best reviewed and seems to have the least issues but is also the most expensive, especially since it doesn't come with a calibration system like the NEC models do, so the total price ends up being around $1,900 - $2,000 when including the cost of a separate calibration system. (Note: I was able to find this monitor for $1,500 new on another site which makes it a more appealing option but the vendor isn't as reputable as B&H and the return policy isn't as good.)

Coming from the LCD1990SXi and comparing the specs of those 4 with this one, it seems clear that they would all offer a vast improvement over what I've got now, but I'm having a hard time deciding which would suit my needs the best and which would be the best investment, so if anyone here could help me out it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

http://www.eizo.com/na/purchase/where/distributors.html

Are you looking for basic preview or advanced print to match functionality?

Legacy 90 Series are in fact suitable for preview purpose, while the current P/PA(Except P221W) have the edge over the previous generation with print to match and Backlight Ageing correction features.

Please note that New AH-IPS Professional Monitors will be available soon in the end of this year. Do not rush to decide.

I would recommend you to visit the local distributors/resellers nearby before you place the order.

Last edited:

May I ask why you prefer 16:9 vs 16:10? Just curious

These are just my opinions (coming off Nec LCD 3090WQXi professionally calibrated).

If you are serious about photo editing, you will:

- control the color temp of your room lighting
- get a monitor hood
- matte (or at worst, semi-matte) displays only. You understand this after few hundred hours of editing
- higher bit internal harwdware LUT for hw calibration
- as much screen (pixel) estate as your wallet can take
- calibration with a decent photospectrometer or with a colorimeter from a pro calibrator (yes, you can do it wrong, if you don't know what you are doing)
- forget about gaming, ghosting and input lag (or at least fast FPS games) and movie watching artifacts, if you are serious about your photo work, esp. colour correction. You can still game and watch movies, you just won't be the elite-uber-fps-killer everybody else is wither their 0-input-lag 144Hz monitors.

With that said, my recommendation would be (almost within your budget range):

NEC MultiSync PA271W-BK-SV 27" Widescreen LCD Monitor with SpectraViewII $1650
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._SV_MultiSync_PA271W_BK_SV_27_Widescreen.html

Or try and find an older 30" 2560x1600 IPS with HW calibration.

Trying to find a decent movie/gaming/serious-photo-editing monitor is just a jungle for the compromises you have to make and you'll give up a lot of tools for you editing work in the process (colour space, internal LUT space, hw-calibration support, ambient lighting sensors, etc).

Then again, we used to do photo editing and colour correction with grey-scale monitors back in the day. But for that you have to know your RGB values and it can be a bit tedious work - not to mention that mistakes do happen when you work off your number memory :)

http://www.eizo.com/na/purchase/where/distributors.html

Are you looking for basic preview or advanced print to match functionality?

Legacy 90 Series are in fact suitable for preview purpose, while the current P/PA(Except P221W) have the edge over the previous generation with print to match and Backlight Ageing correction features.

Please note that New AH-IPS Professional Monitors will be available soon in the end of this year. Do not rush to decide.

I would recommend you to visit the local distributors/resellers nearby before you place the order.

I wish I could view and compare these monitors in person before I decide, but unfortunately I don't know of any distributor or reseller that has them on display that's located anywhere nearby (northern New England).

To answer your question, print to match is important but I've got a system already in place with my current monitor and printer that allows me to get accurate prints that I'm usually satisfied with, although I realize I could be doing better. Still, I'll be using the monitor primarily for editing photos which will then be published to the web, which brings me to a point I forgot to address in the OP...

As I mentioned, I wasted a lot of time editing countless photos with an old monitor only to eventually realize the monitor was inaccurate in almost every way and I'd been editing my photos in a way that only looked good on MY monitor and the photos I'd edited looked completely different (too bright, too saturated, colors all wrong) on every other display. I'm concerned I might run into a similar situation with one of these monitors, although this time due to a monitor that's "too accurate" instead of too imprecise.

I keep reading that a wide gamut display is the best choice for photo editing and is the only way to go if you're serious about photography/image editing but I can't see how this is true when it comes to photos that will be published online. The vast majority of the world uses computers and monitors that are not wide gamut, not 10-bit, not calibrated and they're not using color managed apps. So if I'm editing my photos with a calibrated wide gamut display in a color-managed application, they may look great for me on my monitor, but wouldn't they look completely different to everyone else?

Let's say I get the PA241W monitor; if I wanted to edit my photos solely for publishing online would I be better off keeping the monitor in sRGB simulation mode for the photo editing so that the way I edit the photo will be the way everyone else sees it when they view it on the web? If so, how would that offer any advantage over a standard gamut monitor like the P241W that uses sRGB by default? And then there's the fact that any photo I publish to the web needs to be converted to sRGB first anyway. I understand that using a wide gamut monitor will display more colors in your photos, but when it comes to digitally sharing those photos with the rest of the world I'm not sure how that makes a difference since you're the only one who would ever see them that way.

Sorry to head this thread in a bit of a different direction, but I'd really like to fully understand this first before making a purchase.

If you will ever get to the point where you will shoot in Adobe RGB for the sake of having the full data for future use, I would be considering having the option to compare on the same screen a ARGB picture with the same picture converted to SRGB. If not, then why bother. In the other hand, the most accurate colors monitors, be it adobe rgb or srgb, are still the wide gammut ones. However, there are other things I would search for like panel uniformity, lut table for calibration, self calibration warning, and so on, that are helping with color accuracy, be it sRGB or any other mode.

Seems like a lot of people don't think the NEC PA30's premium is worth it over the 27. True or false?

What I can distinguish between PA and CG series is its sRGB Simulation Capability.

On the first glance, they look literally the same.

However, absolute colorimetric values tells the difference between them.

Sorry for not asking about this earlier, but could someone explain exactly what this difference represents and how it would effect photo editing work and the monitor's accuracy and precision? Does it mean that the NEC does not accurately simulate sRGB whereas the Eizo does? Would there be a noticeable difference between the two monitors if they were side-by-side, both using sRGB simulation, displaying the same image? At the moment I'm leaning toward either the PA241W or the PA271W but if they aren't accurate in sRGB mode and the Eizo is, that may push me to take the leap and spend the extra cash for the CG243W.

On another note, I didn't realize that the video card I was planning on buying (the GTX 660 Ti) won't allow for the display of 30 bit color with these monitors and that I need a card with 10-bit support. I have a few questions about this, namely how much of a difference a 10 bit card would really make for me and if it's worth sacrificing video card performance in order to get 30-bit color, but since this board is for displays I made a separate thread with my questions on the Video Cards board, here, in case anyone wants to give me some info on video cards and help me decide which one to get.

Thanks again!

Sorry for not asking about this earlier, but could someone explain exactly what this difference represents and how it would effect photo editing work and the monitor's accuracy and precision? Does it mean that the NEC does not accurately simulate sRGB whereas the Eizo does? Would there be a noticeable difference between the two monitors if they were side-by-side, both using sRGB simulation, displaying the same image? At the moment I'm leaning toward either the PA241W or the PA271W but if they aren't accurate in sRGB mode and the Eizo is, that may push me to take the leap and spend the extra cash for the CG243W.

Bump to get this answered -- ready to go with either the PA271W or the CG243W at this point but just wanted this cleared up first. Thanks again

how it would effect photo editing work and the monitor's accuracy and precision?
There is no difference. I haven't much time at the moment to have a look at the profiles myself but there only seems to be a problem with the 'chad'-tag created during profile generation (which is no problem when using display profiles reasonably). However: The actual whitepoint => D50 PCS adaptation for the measurement data is implemented correctly in both cases.

The color space emulations of Eizo and NEC are similar regarding their screens with 3D-LUT although you need SpectraView Profiler instead of SpectraView II to benefit from it in the same way as when using Color Navigator (characterisation of actual state by profile with native color space, various emulation targets with gamut mapping by consideration of display and destination profile) which doesn't mean that the color space emulation of NEC is bad when using it out of SpectraView II or via the OSD.

Anyway: You won't use a color space emulation in a managed workflow. The CMM integrated in color aware software will carry out the transformations on basis of the participating profiles. With the mentioned operating mode in brackets (passage above) you would in addition experience the problem that display profile and display behaviour don't match which will lead to wrong transformations (not the case when using the color space emulation out of SpectraView II or the simple alternative in Color Navigator).

Further information (unfortunately only in German) regarding the color space emulations and their different configuration types:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-eizo-cg275w-teil13.html
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-nec-spectraview-241-teil13.html

Last edited:
There is no difference. I haven't much time at the moment to have a look at the profiles myself but there only seems to be a problem with the 'chad'-tag created during profile generation (which is no problem when using display profiles reasonably). However: The actual whitepoint => D50 PCS adaptation for the measurement data is implemented correctly in both cases.

The color space emulations of Eizo and NEC are similar regarding their screens with 3D-LUT although you need SpectraView Profiler instead of SpectraView II to benefit from it in the same way as when using Color Navigator (characterisation of actual state by profile with native color space, various emulation targets with gamut mapping by consideration of display and destination profile) which doesn't mean that the color space emulation of NEC is bad when using it out of SpectraView II or via the OSD.

Anyway: You won't use a color space emulation in a managed workflow. The CMM integrated in color aware software will carry out the transformations on basis of the participating profiles. With the mentioned operating mode in brackets (passage above) you would in addition experience the problem that display profile and display behaviour don't match which will lead to wrong transformations (not the case when using the color space emulation out of SpectraView II or the simple alternative in Color Navigator).

Further information (unfortunately only in German) regarding the color space emulations and their different configuration types:
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-eizo-cg275w-teil13.html
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-nec-spectraview-241-teil13.html

There are a few differences between them. I suggest you to take the closer look at their sRGB Emulation performance, especially Max ΔEab and AverageΔEab back to back.

There are a few differences between them. I suggest you to take the closer look at their sRGB Emulation performance, especially Max ΔEab and AverageΔEab back to back.
The results were quite similar in our tests. Fortunately Eizo now also optimizes gray balance via Color Navigator 6.x without black level increase (Piority: Standard) – one of the very few points of critique in older versions.

NEC SpectraView 241 sRGB emulation:
http://www.prad.de/download/NEC_SpectraView_241_sRGBemu.pdf
(based on SpectraView Profiler 5)

Eizo CG275W sRGB emulation:
http://www.prad.de/download/Eizo_CG275W_sRGBemu.pdf
(based on Color Navigator 6.1.1.3 with the new emulation feature)

Last edited:
Back