• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Professional dual screen advice, IPS recommendation

subyman

n00b
Joined
Nov 5, 2011
Messages
24
I recently started programming full-time. I have a Catleap Q270 and its been great, but the glare from the screen is starting to take its toll on my eyes. I am working for 8-10 hours a day, and I do not think the Catleap was made for this type of work.

I'm looking at replacing it with two 1920x1200 monitors with AG coating. I would go with 2x1440p monitors with AG coating, but I can't justify the cost at this point. I also need more than just a single input since I switch between PC and Mac. The single DL-DVI of the Catleap is a big limitation. I'd also like a USB hub as well.

My work consists of Photoshop/Illustrator CS6, programming in general, and reading documentation. So, I need something that is easy on the eyes, but also has decent color replication. I am not doing print work.

What monitor would you guys suggest? I am currently looking at the PA248Q, U2410, and ZR2440W. The USB 3.0 of the PA248Q is nice, but I've heard of backlight bleeding problems. Price is not a huge issue. Up to around $400 per monitor would be fine, I just want the best in the range.

Thanks
 
I have the U2410 and it is great. I will be getting two more eventually but they are around $500 so I am trying to spread them out.
 
I'm actually thinking about going with a 27" and then adding another later on. Spread them out a bit. I can use the Korean monitor as the aux monitor for the time being.

Any recommendation for the HP ZR27 vs the U2713?
 
Honestly I think AG on a 27" @ 1440 would be terrible for text. Yes you don't want glare on your screen but I would be careful not go to the other extreme either.
 
You know, the best thing possible for the eyes is something with e-Ink (just talking about programming only here :p)
I do 8-9 hours of programming per day - 40 hour week.

I've always wondered why they don't sell large e-Ink monitors with relatively higher speeds than a kindle. Hell, 100ms would be fine for a cheap monitor. Imagine, just for programming and viewing black/white documents. Isn't that what loads of office workers do? I would personally rush to buy one. It's zero eyestrain, just like reading a book.

Next Christmas, I'm getting a kindle DX, a huge kindle. I'm installing VNC on it and essentially going to use it as a relatively small "programming only" monitor (since the speed of it will obviously be really slow).

This is not something I will recommend for everyday use, not by a stretch... but I'm going to give it a shot. I will use that kindle anyway for reading.
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/04/03/kindle-dx-hacked-to-act-as-a-second-monitor-video/

As for something a bit more realistic, I would say the most important thing is to probably get something that's Matte (not glossy) and which isn't too bright on it's lowest brightness. I keep brightness on the lowest setting I can read text comfortably while programming. The thing is, people seem to complain about vibrant colors on matte screens. This thread should be interesting to watch. Just voicing my wish for e-ink monitors now that eyestrain was brought up.. as a monitor noob I haven't much to offer you :)
 
Back
Top