Procurve 1810g daisy chain?

extrafuzzyllama

Limp Gawd
hi all i jusy bought myself a procurve 1810 8 port switch
and i am soon going to need more then 7 ports for devices and wanted to know if i can buy another 1810 switch and use both switches somehow since i think the 24 port version is too much for me

if i can use both switches how can i do that while only connecting one switch to the router

You shouldn't have a problem linking them when a cable

Have you looked into a 16 port switch?

the procurve 1810 only comes in 8 and 24 port models
and i am set on a procurve since i have read alot of great reviews

how would i go about linking them?
a normal ethernet cable to any port on the switches?

I dont' think the 8 port has an uplink port, but it may, if so, use the uplink port

No, you would just use a normal port if it doesn't have an uplink port

Most of the half decent switches these days have ports that will auto sense if they're plugged into another switch or not. My Dell PowerConnect 2724 has that. No matter which port on the switch you want to plug it into, if you plug the other end into my router it will switch to uplink mode. Not sure if the HP does this but i'd be suprised if it doesn't.

The Dell 1810G is a Gigabit switch, auto-mdix is built into the standard. Just plug them in and you're set.

the specs say auto uplink not sure if thats the same but hoping
and if it has that uplink feature i would just grab any ethernet cable and connect it to the other switch?

the specs say auto uplink not sure if thats the same but hoping
and if it has that uplink feature i would just grab any ethernet cable and connect it to the other switch?

Yep. Basically just plug a cable in from one port to another port (on different switches) and you are good to go.

Also, keep this in mind when you are plugging stuff in:

The connection from switch to switch is limited to 1Gb. So, if have a group of computers that use a lot of bandwidth from one of them to the other, try to put all those on the same switch. That way you won't saturate your uplink connection as bad.

actually only 3 computers will be on the switch the rest r things like game consoles and media players like wdtv live

so i can use a cat6 cable to connect the switches or need another type?

ok thx guys i will get myself a second procurve and a short cat6 cable

does linking two switches lower speeds?
i will only be connecting my imac, pc, and a nas to the switch and small devices like game consoles so it wont be a ton of computers using those switches

does linking two switches lower speeds?
i will only be connecting my imac, pc, and a nas to the switch and small devices like game consoles so it wont be a ton of computers using those switches

No it doesn't lower speeds. The only lower speeds you'd get, as I mentioned before, was traffic from switch to switch is limited to 1Gbps.

o alright so i will connect the computers to one switch and the devices like xbox and media players to the other switch

sorry for a silly question but would the 1gbps speed between switches be slow
the devices on the switches besides the computers as i mentioned are video games consoles and media players

You won't notice the speed slow down with what you'll be doing most likely. HD streaming only takes like 5Mbps. Gaming uses far less. If you had computer A and B on one switch and computer C and D on another, trying to do a file transfer from A -> C and B -> D, generically speaking the two file transfers would be fighting for share of the 1Gbps, so they'd only have for example 500Mbps each. In your scenario, I don't find it being a big issue at all. Especially with the traffic I assume you'll have. In a business world with high demand servers and tons of clients, it'd be done differently.

Back