Procmon CreateFile C: What File?

Sayth

Gawd
Joined
Oct 7, 2001
Messages
618
So I posted this under networking and security by accident. Asked mod to move it but they didn't so yes this is a repost. I'm sorry.

I'm running procmon to validate some software and am trying to figure out why I have thousands of:

Code:
CreateFile C:
and
Code:
CreateFile C:\
and
Code:
CreateFile C:\ProgramFiles

The disposition is "Open" so I know it has something to do with opening a file but what file? It shouldn't be looking at the root of the C: drive at all.

Most end in "Success"

I've tried looking in the properties and the stack. I can't see any indication of what file.
 
CreateFile creates a file handle, not necessarily a file. You'll see this traversal in ProcMon as a file is opened in a deeper directory, or as files are enumerated with APIs like FindFirstFile.
 
Okay thats what I was wondering. In a sense it's following the steps to the file such as:

Open C: > Open C:\ > Open C:\Program Files > Open C:\Program Files\CoolSoftware > Open C:\Program Files\CoolSoftware\ConfigurationFile.cfg ?

Now i just need to figure out why it's opening and reading the C:\Autoexec.bat file. It's empty, but why does it need to look in there... hmmmmm

Thank for your reply!
 
Back
Top