processor / MB that can be upgraded in the future

Mr_Dove

n00b
Joined
Dec 17, 2011
Messages
6
I'm going to be building a new system over the next few months. I would probably describe it as an economy gaming system.

Because of my financial constraints I usually try to purchase a motherboard that will allow me to upgrade my processor in the future. I usually start out with a slower processor at the beginning and then purchase a faster one a few years later. That way I can speed up my system without having to purchase a new motherboard/memory.

What would be a good processor to enter with and have a prospect of upgrading it significantly in 2-3 years?

I'm currently running a Core 2 duo E7500 2.93GHz but I would like to run some games like Skyrim at a higher quality.
 
lemme consult a crystal ball :p

most likely a Z68 with an i3 2100 (or i5 2500k depending on your budget) with future upgrade to 2700k/Ivy Bridge next year.... definitely enough to last 3-4 years

Skyrim + i5 2500k: still cpu limited (when you up the details in the next few pages)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-4.html

Skyrim + i3/i5/Phenom II + GTX 570
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-9.html

best solution = i3 2100 $120 + Z68 <$100 for now, spend what's left on a good gpu
 
Last edited:
If you really want future upgradability, your best bet is to get one of the Z68 boards that support PCIe 3.0 (the so-called Gen 3 boards). Of the boards out now, those are the ones that are most likely to support Ivy Bridge (your upgrade path) without too many issues. But who knows if socket 1155 is still going to be relevant in 2-3 years, as that will be Haswell time for Intel.
 
if you are definitely going to piece meal it over the next few months as you say. Go ahead and grab that i5-2500k. I'd grab the mobo last as CES drops in January, so do new motherboards(Z77). This way you can see what is offered, at price/performance points vs current Z68. If the new 77 chipset isnt significant for you , go with 68 chipset which may offer a slight discount by then as the new boards arrive. Just an idea to toy around with. Im personally holding out for the Z77 as the boards will have native support for many features to come.
 
Go with s1155 with a real sata3 controller. I'm stuck with the marvell 9128 controller on x58 mobo that won't use ful speed on a sata3 ssd.
 
I'd grab the mobo last as CES drops in January, so do new motherboards(Z77). This way you can see what is offered, at price/performance points vs current Z68. If the new 77 chipset isnt significant for you , go with 68 chipset which may offer a slight discount by then as the new boards arrive. Just an idea to toy around with. Im personally holding out for the Z77 as the boards will have native support for many features to come.



where have you seen that Z77 based boards will be available in January vs say March/April?
 
perhaps I jumped the gun on that. But in the past sometimes we have seen items hit the street soon after CES. It is my hope atleast, I have no data to back it up.
 
Back
Top