Processor Dead?

assrott

n00b
Hey guys...

This is my first post in these forums, so please be gentle :) Here is my predicament:

DFI Lanparty 875P-T
P4 640 3.2 ghz
6600 GT
1 GB Corsair ValueSelect 3200 DDR

This is what I tried to throw together. When I fired up the system for the first time, all that happened was all the fans ran. The monitor received no signal. I let it run for a while, and the northbridge's heat sink got warm, but the heatsink on the P4 remained cold. Does this mean that my processor is dead? I know I need to flash my bios to support the newer processor, but would the older bios cause the processor to not even fire up? Any thoughts?

I guess my plan of attack would be to find a P4 5xx proc, plug it in, and see if I could flash the bios then. However, I can't find anyone with either a 5xx or a 6xx proc, or a mobo I could use to test for that matter. There aren't a lot of people around the dorms during the summer, and what few people there are seem to prefer AMD systems :(

Thanks for any help!

Buy a cheap P4 off Ebay from a reputable seller and use that. Then you can flash the BIOS etc and test your 6xx.

The way to test if a CPU is warming up is to unplug the fan on the heatsink and boot it like that, then use your fingers near the base of the heatsink to see if it warms up.

DEAD CPUs can make the heatsink warm as well you know, it just depends what the problem is with it LOL.

Wasn't so hard was it? :)

Cheers,

MM

first off welcome to the forum

secondly:
are there any beeps?
also before going out and buying another proc take every thing apart and reassemble the computer making sure every thing is seated properly, find someone who can test the proc in another system

if ends up being a dead proc rma it to where you got it from or to intel

hope this helps

The BIOS not supporting the CPU, will definetly keep it from booting up as well as the CPU not getting the correct signals from the motherboard.

You are going to need some way to flash your BIOS, I don't think there is any way around it, if you want to get these components to work together.

Good Luck

Thanks for the comments, guys.

So, before my original post I had tried many times to clear the CMOS using the jumpers, and I had even taken the battery out for a minute or two a couple times. Apparently, my CMOS had a very strong will to live, because it finally took leaving the battery out all night to clear it. This morning I switched the jumper again and fired it up, and it posted. It recognizes the processor and tests the RAM, then promptly restarts. I assume the problem now is that I need to update my bios. In order to flash it, I assume that now I need an older 775 processor (?).

BTW, I think the reason my CMOS was all out of whack is because Kyle and Keith had too much fun with it:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzA0LDY=
I won the mobo as part of the winning team in a tournament over at [H] Gaming, and (I could be wrong) I believe the mobo in that review is now sitting in my bedroom :D

So, yeah. I need an older proc in order to flash my bios? Is there a way around this (as I don't know anyone w/ such a processor)?

lol. My computer restarts if I push *any* key during the "memory test," so I don't know about dos mode. I think I may have circumvented the whole extra processor purchase thing by buying a new bios chip from some site (can't remember the name now). So as soon as that comes and another thing goes wrong, I'll post again :p

Back