• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Processor Compatibility Question

asnorton44

n00b
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
8
So currently I am running a Windows Home Server, VAIL refresh to be exact. I bought a Compaq on Craigslist and upgraded a few things in order to run VAIL. Specs as follows:

Intel Pentium 4 521 2.8GHz Single Core 64-Bit LGA775
- 800MHz FSB
- 1MB L2
2GB DDR2 800 Ram
WD Green 1TB
Hitachi 500GB
Gigabit Ethernet

It currently is housed in the stock case and I really would like to convert it to a Mini-ITX form factor. The basis of this topic resides on questions about the compatibility of the P4 with newer LGA775 motherboards. I would like to use the P4 for the time being and upgrade in 6 months or so. I have been looking into purchasing the Intel BOXDG41MJ LGA 775 Intel G41 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121381

Does any know if a P4 is compatible with a newer chipset? (Intel G41 in this case). I would imagine it would work, but would like some input if possible. Thanks!
 
newegg lists "pentium" under compatibility, so it should work. i cant find anything online explicitly stating that that combo works though. LGA775 is end of life, though for a simple home file server you should be able to find some cheap used core2 quads to put in it.
 
You can probably pick up a Celeron 420 or e1200 for $10-20 that's guaranteed to work.
 
Back
Top