Process of changing processors?

SLP Firehawk

Limp Gawd
Hi I am wanting to learn what will be involved in changing processor from i7 3930k to something like an Intel Xeon E5-2687W v2.
Motherboard is ASUS X79 Pro and I won't be chaniging anything but CPU.
I have never done this before and am trying to understand what is involved.
Is it as simple as physically swapping the CPUs and then boot up and the BIOS recognizes it?
Or will I need to go to setup screen and configure things?
Will Win 7 Pro automatically recognize it?

Make sure your BIOS is up to date BEFORE you change it out.
Probably will autodetect if BIOS is up to date and the RAM doesn't cause any wierdness.

Make sure your BIOS is up to date BEFORE you change it out.
Probably will autodetect if BIOS is up to date and the RAM doesn't cause any wierdness.
Thank you. My BIOS is as it was when I received the PC back in 2013. What is good way to get it up to date? And will that break any of my other hardware or software?

Just go to ASUS's website and check for the latest revision number.

I would doubt it would break anything else unless it is already broken and you just don't know it yet.

According to the compatiblity you need revision 4502 or newer to support that chip, so no you're not covered, ya need to update it (just go with the latest revision if you're updating anyway).
1585581193364.png

Thank you. I was wondering if going with the newest (4701) was best idea and safe.
You guys are great

Don't forget the process of swapping the old CPU out. Many bent pins occur during this process if you don't know how to remove or install the CPU, not to mention applying thermal paste and securing the heatsink/fan. The wrong orientation or a little push here and there and you may damage the socket pins, rendering your motherboard useless.

Watch a few YouTube videos regarding what you want to do will minimize the chance of making a costly mistake.

Last edited:
Don't forget the process of swapping the old CPU out. Many bent pins occur during this process if you don't know how to remove or install the CPU, not to mention applying thermal paste and securing the heatsink/fan. The wrong orientation or a little push and there and you may damage the socket pins, rendering your motherboard useless.

Watch a few YouTube videos regarding what you want to do will minimize the chance of making a costly mistake.
Thank you very much. I will do that. I certainly don't want to ruin my motherboard!

Hi I am wanting to learn what will be involved in changing processor from i7 3930k to something like an Intel Xeon E5-2687W v2.
Motherboard is ASUS X79 Pro and I won't be chaniging anything but CPU.
I have never done this before and am trying to understand what is involved.
Is it as simple as physically swapping the CPUs and then boot up and the BIOS recognizes it?
Or will I need to go to setup screen and configure things?
Will Win 7 Pro automatically recognize it?

1586620969875.png

Back