Process Explorer>? anyone use this?

It's like Task Manager on steroids, cranked with juice, with a side of crack just for good measure. :)

Created by the guys from Systernals who finally got sucked into the belly of the beast - aka Microsoft - and a damned useful tool as all their free utilities are.

And yes, quite a few folks use it.

I use it religiously. Other than spyware, it's very useful to track down what is going on with processes.

Process Explorer and Process Monitor are great apps. Really helps me when I'm debugging programs to find out what files they have open and what they're trying to do on my machine.

Process Explorer goes beyond what taskmgr provides. You still get all the info like PID, page faults, CPU time, etc., but it also provides information like what libraries a process is linked to, the environment of a process, threads of execution, etc. And you can find what owns a file handle or is locking a file.

is there a way to remove found issues like hijack this though? i didnt see an option just lets you know what it is. i also didn't see an option to end the tasks.

those two functions make proc explorer and hijakc this special.

this is neat, but so far only seems to be a "whats running" tool

Use process explorer to locate the issue, autoruns (another sysinternals app) in place of hijackthis, and a boot cd for easy rootkit removal.

You can kill process and file handles with process explorer. the kill all itmes in process tree is also very useful.

I use it all the time. We occassionally get race conditions leading to orphaned file handles (conflict between Symantec AV and one of their backup programs).

Way easier to kill the file handle, than to get an change opened, approved, and scheduled so you can reboot the box.

Back