Problems with Xonar DX (750i mobo)

dc458

n00b
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
27
I just recently purchased a Xonar DX. I am currently running vista 64bit on an evga 750i mobo. I insert the card into my pci-e slot and plug in the power but when I boot up my system does not detect anything. I go to install the drivers and it just says 'plug in a Xonar DX device'. Device manager doesn't even detect anything. I tried using both PCIE 1 and PCIE 2 slots; neither work. I plugged the card into an older computer and it worked so I know the card is good. I am running the latest version of BIOS. Are there any others with this card having the same problems as me? Are there any workarounds? I called EVGA tech support and they were baffled and they said they would 'get back to me', whenever that will be.
 
Wasn't there an issue with nvidia boards not recognizing some of the Xonar cards? It was supposed to be fixed via recent BIOS releases as I recall.

[edit]From Tech Report's Xonar DX Review:

The Xonar's Oxygen HD audio chip wasn't designed for PCI Express, so Asus uses a bridge chip from PLX to adapt it to the PCIe interface. This bridge chip appears to conflict with motherboards based on Nvidia's latest nForce chipsets, though. We couldn't get the Xonar detected in a motherboard based on the nForce 790i SLI reference design, with the Vista device manager reporting problems with a PCI-to-PCI Express bridge. The same problem also afflicts the Xonar D2X, and according to Nvidia, it's a BIOS issue that will be resolved with an update shortly.

I'd heard this also applied to the 780i, so maybe 750i is also affected. That review was in early April; how new is your BIOS?
 
I'm running the newest version of bios as of yesterday. Also, I don't get any errors in device manager; in fact, I don't even get anything. its as if there isnt even a device plugged in.
 
Well, according to their forums that BIOS was released on May 30. The only thing listed as a "major highlight" is "Resolves graphics corruption issues when playing videos with certain GPU configurations. No impact to performance."

The previous release (May 12) "Improves Kentsfield 1066MHz overclock stability", the one before that (April 16) "Added support to increase PCIe frequency".

However, looking at their website, I see this listed in the April 18 BIOS update for their 790i board:

"P04 BIOS is available now, the major highlights are listed below:

* Fix CAS reporting
* Fix issue with Xonar sound cards
* Improved FSB and memory stability and overclocking
* Increase allowed FSB range to 3000
* Add P1/P2 settings* (See below for P1/P2 Notes)
* Improve nForce fan speed reporting and control"


That's ONLY for the 790i board. You may want to call them and ask when they plan on implementing that fix for the 750i one. Browsing their forums I see several other users having compatibility issues with the Xonar series and other nvidia chipset boards; this is a widespread issue and it seems nvidia has been slow in getting a fix out for some chipsets.

It's also possible the Xonar isn't the only thing affected, the problem is not with the sound cards so much as the PCI to PCI Express bridge chip being used.
 
This may have nothing at all to do with your issues, but I have a P35 motherboard setup like so:


---------------- 16X Slot - 8800GT
- 1x Slot - taken by GPU Cooler
- 1x Slot - Xonar DX
---------------- 16X Slot (4x electrical) Dell Perc 5

Now, from what I read, the top 16X Slot gets a full 16 lanes regardless of what else is plugged in.
The 2 1x slots and the 16x slot share 6 lanes from the specs I read, but I had to manually change the 2nd 16x slot to a 2x slot before Windows say my Xonar.
 
Back
Top