Problems with WRT54G and DHCP?

I've been trying to configure a WRT54G for my parents shoe store, but I can't seem to get it to dish out an IP for their cash-wrap workstation. I've tried releasing/renewing through ipconfig - when I release it it says that is has already been released, when I renew it it says the specified file (network connection?) is missing. I can connect to the DSL through PPPoE perfectly fine without the router, so that rules out a bad NIC. The router works perfectly fine for every other computer in the store. Any ideas of what is going on?

A missing file sounds like a PC issue, especially since the other computers all work.

Could you post the exact error message that you get when you ipconfig/renew please?

Also, try to ping the 169.254.x.x IP address, and the loopback address (127.0.0.1) let us know if either one times out when you post the error message.

yup sounds like that system has a problem, not the router....

You might give this a try... it's worth a shot:
When you run the ipconfig /renew command, you receive:

An error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: The system cannot find the file specified.

This error can be caused by your firewall software or by your Windows installation being damaged.

1. Make sure that a firewall is NOT enabled on your local area connection and that 3rd-party firewall software is not installed.

2. Open a CMD prompt.

3. Type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and press Enter, to reset the TCP/IP protocol.

4. Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.

If all else fails, give it a static IP, GW and netmask to see if it can see the other PC's on the network. If that works, you know it isn't hardware, just software. As a kludge, that will work although not elegant.

I've even seen giving a static and then changing back to DHCP work because it forces the stack to be "rebuilt" with the original files.

I've also seen a few PC's that magically had the DHCP client set to manual. Be sure the service is running.

I tried the netst command to no avail. I think they loaded Norton Internet Security and had problems configuring it for the right ports, but I'm positive they could still connect to the router. They said they had some problems with their SBC connection and SBC changed a lot of the networking configurations.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Back