Problems with wireless expander

Pendragon

n00b
Router: WRT54G
Wireless Expander: WRE54G

Alright, I recently acquired the WRE54G wireless expander to, well, expand my wireless network. However, the "Link" LED remains red, indicating that it is unable to connect to the router. I have checked multiple times to confirm that I do indeed have a compliant router and that it is within range, and I also updated the router's firmware to v3.01.3

Unfortunately, Linksys's support is rather lacking. The "manual" (just a .pdf file) has a meager troubleshooting section, and the "knowledge database" did not answer my question. Before I tried anything else, I was curious to know if anyone knew how to fix my problem, as I may just be incompetent.

Now, Auto-Configure clearly does not work, as the LED is red. So I decided to try the manual setup using the disc they supplied. The utility was able to locate both my wireless network and my wireless expander, but when I got to the end of the setup, I got an error message that said "Cannot associate with this AP in repeater mode."

I do not own an access point, so I'm not sure exactly how I disable repeater mode and if I should.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Yes, you do own an access point, the WRT54G. The repeater does care at all about the router function of that device, only the integrated Access Point. The "expander" is a repeater. So if your being told by the software the repeater won't associate to the AP then your pretty much stuck. I'd definitely try harder to get in contact with a human being at Linksys. That repeater should associate to the AP no problem.

Back