Problems with Win 8.1

-Axiom-

2[H]4U
I installed a full retail version on a brand new ssd and I am having problems for which I cannot find any answers.

Websites won't stay logged in even though I have selected that they do so, this is pretty annoying.
I use the latest build of Firefox, I uninstalled IE.

Another issue is that web pages jump up & down like there is some kind of scrolling issue.
I tried different drivers for my mouse and nothing works.

I tried going through Microsoft to fix it but they couldn't.

Is this os just plain broken?

There are other annoying things that in time I guess i'll get used to but the screen jumping around and websites not staying logged in is enough to drive me back to XP until win9 comes out.

The first issue sounds like a Firefox problem, not Windows. I'm logged into OCN, Hardforum, Gmail, Voice, and XDA and several other sites on two 8.1 machines on Firefox. No problems staying logged in.

Does scrolling in explorer exhibit the same scrolling problem?

I'm talking about Windows explorer. Scroll through your files. Or try a long document. This should isolate a driver/hardware problem vs a software specific problem.

I had a lot of weird issues with 8.1 that were hardware/UEFI related, including websites not staying logged in.

It's a longshot guess but do you have an AsMedia SATA controller and/or an ASUS motherboard?

If you haven't already, upgrade all chipset drivers to latest from manufacturer. If you have the controller in question try disabling it completely in BIOS if you don't need it. If that doesn't help or you do need it, try installing theAsmedia SATA driver that has been released for Windows 8. There isn't one for windows 8.1 that has been released for my M6H. THEN try disabling the controller again in BIOS afterwards if you don't need it. That worked for me before, and now the latest BIOS seems to have gotten rid of the problem for my board.

I had a lot of weird issues with 8.1 that were hardware/UEFI related, including websites not staying logged in.

It's a longshot guess but do you have an AsMedia SATA controller and/or an ASUS motherboard?

If you haven't already, upgrade all chipset drivers to latest from manufacturer. If you have the controller in question try disabling it completely in BIOS if you don't need it. If that doesn't help or you do need it, try installing theAsmedia SATA driver that has been released for Windows 8. There isn't one for windows 8.1 that has been released for my M6H. THEN try disabling the controller again in BIOS afterwards if you don't need it. That worked for me before, and now the latest BIOS seems to have gotten rid of the problem for my board.

The motherboard is an Asus P5k deluxe, it's not possible to get drivers from Asus, their site is just plain non-functional.
I tried and it timed out every time.

I did get inf drivers from Intel and that did solve some issues.
I had to install the audio driver through the device manager.
I've tried 3 different mouse drivers from Logitech.

I'm not sure which controller my ssd is using, it has been working fine otherwise.

I dug out the mb manual and as far as I can tell there is only the southbridge for the sata ports.
The southbridge is a ICH9R, the boot drive is plugged into slot #1.
The manual says to use slots 1,2,5, or 6 for the boot drive.

Aren't the drivers for the southbridge part of the Intel inf drivers?

If it's only scrolling weirdly in Firefox, I almost want to say that's a Firefox issue. Or maybe a combination of Firefox + 8.1, but my Firefox installs work just fine.

How long should I mess with this before I give up and go back to XP?

Well, XP is going EOL. So I wouldn't do that. As far as drivers for that motherboard for win8 there aren't any...

The asus site works fine you must be trying to access one of their old links:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5K_DeluxeWiFiAP/#support
Probably need to flash BIOS? I think the updated win7 drivers should be okay. Failing that it's time to bother Raja maybe.

I was able to access the Asus site today, there are no drivers or updated bios for this board.

This board worked fine with XP, win7, & Vista.

EOL or not it works, I have been messing with this for 2 full days now.
I actually called Microsoft tech support, never had to do that before.
If [H] doesn't know nobody does, Microsoft didn't.

How often does the scrolling issue happen? I have it where it happens about once an hour to where it just goes down the page a bit (almost like someone hit Page Down a few times). I use Chrome and Windows 8.1. I never thought it was the OS. I figured it was a trackpad issue (using a Lenovo Helix tablet/laptop).

The scrolling issue is constant, as I type this the page is jumping up & down.

Maybe a graphics issue?

Windows 7 drivers should work. Maybe try installing them in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Seeing as the chipset in the motherboard is almost 7 years old, I can't imagine updating drivers for it would help. Windows 8.1 should have the most recent drivers integrated for that chipset.

Considering I know quite a few people that use Windows 8/8.1 with Firefox without issue, I would not consider it to be some sort of compatibility issue between the two of them. If anything, I would suspect the hardware you're trying to use is too old. Going back to XP may be a temporary fix, but as mentioned, support for it is ending April 8th. IMO, your best bet would be to try Windows 7, or more ideally, get some new hardware.

Intel says it's compatible with win 8.1.

I looked for a copy of win7 there are none.
I'd trade with someone for win7 full retail if they would like to.

Intel says it's compatible with win 8.1.

I looked for a copy of win7 there are none.
I'd trade with someone for win7 full retail if they would like to.

Both newegg and Amazon have OEM copies of Windows 7 for sale in all flavors.

One thing we forgot to ask: What is your GPU, and what drivers are you running?

The motherboard is an Asus P5k deluxe, it's not possible to get drivers from Asus, their site is just plain non-functional.
I tried and it timed out every time.

I did get inf drivers from Intel and that did solve some issues.
I had to install the audio driver through the device manager.
I've tried 3 different mouse drivers from Logitech.

I'm not sure which controller my ssd is using, it has been working fine otherwise.

Why do you install Win8 to an old motherboard that doesn't even support it? You can only get drivers up to Win7 x64 for that board. Also, I tried the Asus site and the 4,7Mb driver for your intel chipset downloaded in 2 seconds so it's far from unfunctional. Perhaps you have some sort of network issues in addition to your other problems? :)

I would recommend windows 7. It's a big upgrade from XP and much more likely to support your hardware.

windows 8.1 works on my p5k. had a problem after i upgraded windows 8 to 8.1 where hdd partitions were seen as external media.
There was an optional patch in windows update that fixed that(90megs) , if thats not your problem disreguard.
is your sata AHCI mode enabled in bios ?

Last edited:
My old style hard drives do show up as removable, I thought that was just because they were hot swappable.

I probably do have AHCI enabled but I will check that right now, thx.

I checked the bios and my SATA is configured as IDE.

Can I change it now or do I need to reinstall after it is changed to AHCI?

I checked the bios and my SATA is configured as IDE.

Can I change it now or do I need to reinstall after it is changed to AHCI?

You can enable ahci mode with a registry hack but generally speaking you should enable ahci first, then install.

I assume a simple repair install would suffice?

I have no experience if that will be enough. Basically you will know if you can boot in ahci mode after the repair install. Otherwise it will just bluescreen on first disk access attempt and you have to switch back to ide mode if you still want to boot it. A repair install may be enough because the OS basically just needs to be reconfigured.

Last edited:
Back