Problems with Win 2k Server Help!!

elfletcho

Gawd
Ok. I am trying to help out our department computer guy with a problem he is having with win 2000 server. To start he is running 2 domain controllers. 1 was upgraded from Win NT Server, and the other was base install Win 2000 server. They get along fine. Now the problem. We are trying to replace the first server with a new machine installed with win 2k server, however we cannot get it to properly connect to the domain. It won't automatically replicate and won't connect to sysvol. Some other stuff, but I am not an IT guy, this is just what he is talking about. What kind of problems does anybody know of that could cause this?

Thanks guys.

With AD there can be a great number of reasons why it's not working, it would greatly help if you can post any errors in the event logs of the servers in question as well as provide a more detailed description of what "other stuff" is.

First thoughts are that the DNS zones for the AD domain aren't setup correctly, if at all. Also, part of that process is going to require all three servers be up and running at the same time. I'm assuming the FSMO roles were left on the original NT 4.0 machine. Those will need to be transferred while all three are online. Are all three servers on the same subnet? Where is DNS being hosted? It should ideally be on the domain controllers as AD integrated zones. Are both machines Global Catalog servers? Are there other domains involved or is this the only one?

There are a lot more questions at this point. Hopefully the above points in the right direction.

DNS is being hosted by the primary domain controller and they are all on the same subnet.

Like I said, I am not an IT guy, actually an EE with emphasis in power. The orignal NT 4 PDC machine is now running 2k server, and is one of the three machines. From what I understand there is no more "PDC" it is now a share and share alike system with all the DC's operating together? Anyway I will try to get some of the error messages posted. I know my friend has been up and down the Microsoft Knowledgebase. He has been working as our department computer guy for 8 years, but he never had any formal IT training. He is another EE with a background in Power. He knows more about his networking stuff than I do that is for sure.

You can also try and force replication from AD Sites and Services and see if any more errors are generated by the FRS...

Make sure the time on all the servers is the same, AD wont replicate if its not

Back