Problems with what should be a basic hd install...

R08813

Weaksauce
I'm installing a hard drive for a friend of mine. Very basic... He ordered a WD3200JB from newegg and I am installing it as a primary slave in his dell dimension 4600. It is a pentium 4 HT 3.06ghz /w 1gb ram and a 80gb seagate barracuda as pri. master. It will show up in the BIOS as a 320gb WD drive when I set it as master on the jumper with the seagate disconnected. But It won't show up in windows when I try setting the seagate to master and this WD to slave. Nor will it work in cable select mode (although I'm not sure if the standard Dell IDE cable is cable select capable). I hook it up to my comp using cable select and it shows up in the BIOS, and in device manager as "WDC WD3200JB-00KFA0" under Disk Drives with a working status (Location 1). Yet when I go to "My Computer" the drive does not show up. This happened before and I had him send it back. This is a new drive and all the reviews I read said it is a good stable drive. Is there something I'm missing?

My comp: - Asus A8v Deluxe - AMD64 3800+ - 2GB Corsair XMS PRO - ATi 9800XT - Seagate 200GB - Koolance Exos cooled - cd-rw - dvd/cd-rw combo drive - ATi TV Wonder - Audigy 2 ZS platinum -

yes, it showed up under not initialized with no drive letter, so I left clicked and initialized it, and now it just says unallocated (still with no drive letter). It also shows the size as 298.09mb

Right click on it and initalize the disk and set partitions and assign drive letters and format.

well, I got it to work in my comp by partitioning it and assigning a driver letter, but now it won't show up AT ALL in the dell... I'll try using my IDE cable for a cable select config, then post back... thnx for the help so far!

Back