Problems with WGT624 wireless router

Vtecaddict

Limp Gawd
I just recently setup my Netgear WGT624v3 router at my house. I updated all the drivers on the router and everyone in my house is having the same problems wirelessly. A wired connection works fine.

Ok so the problem is this, my connection speed seems great when I'm not doing anything, it sits at 54mbps. Then once I try to look at a website or play a online game the connection gets really slow and goes down to a 1Mbps speed. I feel like I've tried everything and netgear support is no support at all. They're only suggestions were firmware and reconnecting the router and such. Any help is appreciated, let me know if you need any more information.

I should also mention I'm using a Netgear - WG111v2 usb adapter and my roommates are all using internal wireless adapters. My computer is only around 15 feet from the router the others are a little further.

bump, anybody?

I've tried ports, channels, disabling security, updating firmware then reinstalling the entire system... all to no avail.

what version of the firmware are you running? i have the same model, and am running the V2.0.10_1.0.1NA version.

there may be a bug with the latest firmware for its wireless driver. try rolling back to a previous firmware, do a hard reset, then put the router within line-of-sight of the wireless device, and try to reproduce the problem.

netgear's forums may also have some info for the firmware version you are running.

I'll try a different firmware version, i'm using the most recent one. I've checked the forums too, I cant find anything that fits the same issue i'm having.

I just looked i'm running the same one as you. I dont really think rolling back to a previous version is going to help either, I may try it later today but I dont see how it would fix anything.

Vtecaddict said:
I just looked i'm running the same one as you. I dont really think rolling back to a previous version is going to help either, I may try it later today but I dont see how it would fix anything.
i've seen several cases of newer firmware breaking existing functionality, and this is true for nearly all SOHO brands out there. additionally, there's a chance that the latest firmware that you flashed didn't really take full effect, so re-flashing should not be ruled out ... even to a flashing a previous version.

I have used this same router that you use for the past 6 months I think, maybe more, and I have noticed that the firmware it came with was horible, just plain crap. I would get consistent dicounects that would require the router to be unpluged to get recounected. This would happen multiple times a day. After I did upgrade the firmware to V2.0.10_1.0.1NA, I have to restart my router maybe 1 time a week maybe less, and my wireless is about as reliable as my wired connection I have, but I would still call this router crap for discounecting, and having to be reset between 1 to 2 times a week. I hope you fix your problem. I just hope it does happen to be a firmware problem and not something wrong with the combination of the two.

I'm about ready to just to chuck this pos. I may as well just go out and buy a new router, this thing is terrible. I've tried reflashing firmware, i've tried using older versions of the firmware it's all the same problem. Netgear support is no support at all.. they do not respond to my messages and if they do this is the response I get.

"your case is being transfered to a higher lvl of tecnical support, you will be contacted within 24hrs"

I never actually get contacted they've been playing this card for the last month and a half. I phoned them up today... The representative told me that the only support I can receive now is over the phone support that costs $30. He said my software warranty just recently expired so this is my only option.... $30 fucking phone support. I bitched at the guy about how if they would have helped me 2 months ago when I first inquired about the case it wouldnt be expire. So he tries to help me, tells me to change the MTU size, check the firmware, check the channels, blah blah the same shit i've tried a hundred times. Finally he tells me he has to transfer me to a higher rep. He tells me that the new tech. rep will contact me soon.

So this is where I stand. I know this new tech. rep wont call me back, i'm about to just break this router on the cement, it's absolutely terrible i've never ran into this kind of problem with any other networking unit.

Any suggestions on a decent router under 60bucks?

Just got caught up on this thread. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Given your experience, I don't want to toss out another Netgear product while that name could cause random acts of violence ;)

Don't buy Linksys or D-Link. Period.

As for an alternative brand to try, look into "Buffalo". We've been using ours at work for as long as I've been there (2+ years). Two possibilities found from Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162134

hth !!

>>I'm about ready to just to chuck this pos.

I had the version 2 of that router and I agree they are crap. Their crapiness is legendary if you care to sift through all of the complaints. Overheating and dropped connections are the biggest complaints.

All of the SOHO brands have had some real stinkers. I don't think it's quite right to dismiss entire brands, you need to evaluate the specific models regardless of brand.

Linksys has had some excellent models and some not so good. Same with D-Link.

I'm currently running a D-Link DI-634M MIMO router and it's been flawless for the year or so I've had it. I've also setup at least half a dozen of them for customers and they have all been fine.

Re: Buffalo.... that was the first one I tried to replace the crappy Netgear based on suggestions. I found that it had very poor range though. The Netgear at least had good range. I admit I don't remember what model Buffalo it was, and I don't think it was a MIMO which do have inherent range advantages over basic b/g wireless routers.

I think the best advice is to read feedback on the various models. I found that Newegg's customer feedback has been helpful for the most part. You just have to ignore the BS posts. :)

Other than that, buy it someplace like Best Buy where you can return it no questions asked if it sucks.

Back