Problems with usb hub connected devices not working after computer wakes from sleep

[U]ber|Noob

Limp Gawd
I have a USB hub where some devices connected to it don't come back on after the computer wakes up from sleep, it is an intermittent problem that occurs at some times with some devices (possible related to how many devices are plugged in and to which ports.

Until I updated windows 8 to 8.1 it only seemed to support one or two devices (despite having 7 ports).

It is a powered hub that was about $15 (so not the cheapest but not the most expensive either).

Would my problems be solved if I bought a really good top quality hub, can anyone suggest a good one?

I want to plug in a couple of printers, a scanner, keyboard, ir receiver and a few other devices. Nothing that needs really high speed, but I want a super reliable hub that doesn't have any problems.

Do you think these problems are caused by having a low cost hub with cheap or inadequate control/routing circuitry?
If I bought a new one I would want to make sure it had much better circuitry, I don't want to pay more just for a designer case etc.

Last edited:
My suggestion would be going with a powered USB 3.0 hub, I don't have any brand in mind but any should do

I already have a powered hub, not usb 3 though.

Some devices connected to it don't work at times (I don't have anything connected to it that draws a lot of power).

Are these sorts of problems common with usb 2 hubs but not 3 in general?

Might this possibly just be a setting to put the ports to sleep when not in use?
Control panel
Power Options
Advanced power settings
USB selective suspend setting...

So I'm wondering if it is due to the chipset in the hub, so I'm looking at Dlink hubs that seem to have more expensive chipsets, does anyone have experience with the dlink hubs, or can recommend another brand/model with above average chipsets?

Last edited:
I have a ********** 10 port hub and I only have my KB and a couple of charger plugs that are for the most part never used and a USB mic on it, my mic never powers up so I have to shut the power bar off and restart it with the mic off for the mic to work.

until I seen this post I just marked it up to my mic being a turd but I'm guessing it is more common a problem.

Back