Problems with Symantec and sleep mode, computer reboots instead of going to sleep

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
Hi, I'm having problems on a system with a gigabyte MA78GM-US2H and a amd 9850 quad. The computer works fine but after I install symantec I can no longer get the computer to go to sleep, It just reboots and starts up again. When I remove it, the computer can go to sleep again. I have updated all of the drivers and the mobo bios but the problem is still here. Any ideas on what to do next? or maybe is there a free virus program out there I could use instead? I would rather not have to buy something different if I can avoid it. Thanks

What program do you mean by "Symantec?" Symantec makes a ton of different antivirus softwares, among other things. Most of them are a pain in the ass, and your computer is better off without them. I think a lot of the guys on this forum recommend NOD32. I typically recommend Trend Micro, but to be honest I don't use any AV on my own machine. Be smart with your surfing, don't open attachments, and run a firewall. Makes it pretty damn hard to get a virus!

Why would I? I remove them from my clients' computers all the time, but I certainly don't get them.

What program do you mean by "Symantec?" Symantec makes a ton of different antivirus softwares, among other things. Most of them are a pain in the ass, and your computer is better off without them. I think a lot of the guys on this forum recommend NOD32. I typically recommend Trend Micro, but to be honest I don't use any AV on my own machine. Be smart with your surfing, don't open attachments, and run a firewall. Makes it pretty damn hard to get a virus!

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I build a computer for a friend at a university. They provide Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4 for free and was what I was trying to use. No AV would not be an option for him because I'm sure he is not smart while surfing.
I installed avast free home version for him and hope that it works well enough. The computer will go to sleep now but I'm not sure how good the AV is.

Avast should be fine. The alternative free antivirus would be AVG. IMO, Avast does a slightly better job than AVG.

Back