problems with Skyrim/Steam on PC

xXaNaXx

Gawd
omfg, i hate having to run Steam in order to play this (or any) game on PC......case in point, i am trying to play Skyrim on my laptop, which i have successfully done already a few times....but now when trying to start the game, i open Steam, press the "Play" button for Skyrim once it loads my library, and it opens a screen stating:

"Performing first time setup...

Installing: Microsoft DirectX for Windows (step 1 of 1)"

......and then it just sits there with its thumb up its ass and won't progress. i've left it sitting for an hour, and it still won't do anything.

laptop specs (Acer 8943G-9319):

Win7 Home Premium x64
Core i7-740QM (1.73Ghz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5850 w/2GB VRAM
1920x1080 18.4" screen
16GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333 (upgraded from 4GB stock)
750GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus main drive + 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD secondary drive for installing my games onto
Blu-ray drive

i've already downloaded/installed the latest video card drivers from the Acer website (dated from August of this year...and i ran Driver Sweeper to ensure a clean install), disabled both PC Tools Firewall Plus & Avast AV, closed out of all non-essential startup applications, restarted the computer multiple times, etc.

i've also tried running Steam in both online & offline mode, but it still gets stuck on this same step either way, and it's really pissing me the fuck off.....all i want to do is play my game, and i have to deal with this goddamn bullshit every single time i try to start the game.......

gonna probably try installing the latest video drivers off the AMD/ATI site as well, since they're newer than the ones from the Acer site, but short of that working, does anyone else know what could be causing this issue, and how to fix it?

It would have done the same thing without Steam I'm guessing since it is having problems with the DX process.

Launch the game executable manually (not the launcher, or through steam). This should bypass any setup steps.

Barring that, you can modify the installscript.vdf in the steam/steamapps/common/skyrim(?) folder. Open it in a text editor and remove the line referring to dxsetup. Should look something like this:
Code:
	"Run Process"
	{
		"DirectX"
		{
			"HasRunKey"		"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Valve\\Steam\\Apps\\42990\\DX"
			"process 1"		"%INSTALLDIR%\\directx\\DXSETUP.EXE"
			"command 1"		"/silent"
			"NoCleanUp"		"1"
		}
Simply remove the entire DirectX code block and save the file.

omfg, i hate having to run Steam in order to play this (or any) game on PC......

You don't.

Once you have the game installed you can go right to the game's EXE and play it without Steam even being turned on.

Back