OK, so I finally got my new system up and running and I wanted to post some info for anyone else that could run into the same problem.
Basically I found that the SATA Drivers that came with my new SN85G4V2 were busted. The CD it comes with only has the WinXP SATA RAID drivers, not the normal SATA drivers. This is fine as they should work even if you're not using RAID, but apparently not. I used the drivers to install WinXP on my new box and the installation kept giving me a BSOD at random times (however when I kept restarting the installation it would give me the BSOD sooner and sooner).
So I decided to go find new drivers on the Silicon Image website (for the Si3112 chipset). I found that there were normal drivers as well as the RAID drivers, so I tried the normal drivers. Installation worked perfectly, I damned the driver CD to hell, and then I got started on installing updates and programs. I go to the Windows update site and I select a bunch of updates, including the update for my SATA RAID chipset (windows update said I didn't have the chipset installed). I spend an hour downloading and installing them, then restart the computer and windows won't load. I restart into safe mode and find that it freezes after trying to run "mup.sys" (whether it was mup.sys that froze or not, I don't know).
Long story short, I reformatted a few more times (minor things went wrong, and I'm a perfectionist), I don't install the RAID drivers, and WinXP runs perfectly.
One thing that still confuses me is whether I have the Si3112 or Si3512 chipset (I assume the 3512 is the RAID version). WinXP tells me both at different times.
Hope this helps someone.
Basically I found that the SATA Drivers that came with my new SN85G4V2 were busted. The CD it comes with only has the WinXP SATA RAID drivers, not the normal SATA drivers. This is fine as they should work even if you're not using RAID, but apparently not. I used the drivers to install WinXP on my new box and the installation kept giving me a BSOD at random times (however when I kept restarting the installation it would give me the BSOD sooner and sooner).
So I decided to go find new drivers on the Silicon Image website (for the Si3112 chipset). I found that there were normal drivers as well as the RAID drivers, so I tried the normal drivers. Installation worked perfectly, I damned the driver CD to hell, and then I got started on installing updates and programs. I go to the Windows update site and I select a bunch of updates, including the update for my SATA RAID chipset (windows update said I didn't have the chipset installed). I spend an hour downloading and installing them, then restart the computer and windows won't load. I restart into safe mode and find that it freezes after trying to run "mup.sys" (whether it was mup.sys that froze or not, I don't know).
Long story short, I reformatted a few more times (minor things went wrong, and I'm a perfectionist), I don't install the RAID drivers, and WinXP runs perfectly.
One thing that still confuses me is whether I have the Si3112 or Si3512 chipset (I assume the 3512 is the RAID version). WinXP tells me both at different times.
Hope this helps someone.