Problems with Remote Desktop in XP

Thall860

Weaksauce
The remote desktop feature on my Boss's PC went down all of a sudden and I feel like I have tried every thing, can any one give any suggestions?

Tried:
Check the port was listening, it was
Changed Port
Installed new NIC, NEW IP Address
Ran Virus check

Something that caught my eye was that I tried to reinstall RDP but it gave me the error message that it was already there. So I went into system32 and found the program and deleted it. I opened the folder back up and it was still there. For whatever reason it will not go away so I can try reinstalling.

Error Message: This computer can't connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again. If the problem continues contact the owner of the remote computer or contact your network admin.

Thanks!

How is it connecting? From across the internet on the other side of a firewall?
Across the network locally?
Any firewall changes?
Any changes in broadband modem? What is the exact setup of the modem and router/firewall?
3rd party software firewall?
Can you connect the computer from across the local network using the LAN IP?

Normally he connects through a watchguard Mobile VPN into the office, then uses remote desktop to get to his computer. But he brought his laptop in so it is all local on the LAN. Plus my PC will not connect to it on the LAN either.

No firewall changes, did reboot the firewall.
He is running with XP firewall turned off.
Does have Norton installed.

Frontier DSL-> Watchguard Firewall-> Untange-> Switch

I have been using the IP of his PC, not the netBios name.

oh yeah, also. this was working for him for over a year with no problems then all of a sudden it will not allow any connections.

The day before this happened he canceled ATT wireless connect on his laptop (He was using his DSL at home when it dropped him) But I would think it would have nothing to do with his RDP on his PC at the office.

Sounds like there's still a firewall in the middle - remove this and see what happens. Try connecting to the PC directly with a crossover cable and see if you can RDP then.

Disable Norton, etc...

Last edited:
His office PC will not allow any connections, with his laptop I can RDP to other PCs just fine. His office PC will RDP to other PCs just fine.

I am not able to RDP to his office PC from any PC.

I can ping his Office PC and I can browse files from network places.

Hmpfff....
After running the tcp/winsock repair...is the RDP host port back to default 3389? Or still showing as the custom port you changed it to?

When you try to connect from the LAN, you're doing local IP address:customport if you're doing the custom port setup still right?

Hmpfff....
After running the tcp/winsock repair...is the RDP host port back to default 3389? Or still showing as the custom port you changed it to?

When you try to connect from the LAN, you're doing local IP address:customport if you're doing the custom port setup still right?

I tried both ( I cant get on his PC right now) and both gave the same error message shown in link above.

Have you eyeballed his registry just to double...triple..check the port that Terminal Server host is set on?

and you did verify that the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" in System Properties, Remote tab, is still checked? :p

confirmed both port and activeness.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned about how I tried to delete the RDP file from the system folder and it would act like it was gone, but if I opened the folder back up it would still be there. could this be a norton thing? any ideas how to over write this and reload it?

It is a problem with SP3. I did an uninstall and the problem went away. Now he is having problems with outlook and error messages all over, so he reinstalled and the problem came back. This time right away.

It is a problem with SP3.

That's weird..I wonder what's on your system that's incompatible with XP SP3...I have ooooodles of clients that have gone to SP3 a while ago, and I haven't run into this issue yet.

What hardware is this machine? Make/model, mobo, NIC, video, etc.

well when I installed sp3 on older motherboard. windows just kept on rebooting it self so what I had to do is enter in safe mood and remove sp3 and after removal of sp3 the computer started up just fine.

Back