Problems with P5NSLI.

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
I just finished putting together a new system with the P5NSLI board. The first board I had to return defective because 2 dimm slots didn't work. With the new board though, I"m not sure if I'm having more problems or the PSU is to blame. Sometimes I power on and it won't post, all I'll have to do is power off and on again and it comes alive. My second issue is with 3DMark 06. Twice now I've been doing benchmarks and halfway through the system rebooted.

Here are the parts:

Conroe e6600 (running stock, with Intel cooler)
2GB OCZ Plat XTC Kit.
2x BFG 7800GTX's 256mb PCI-e in SLI
80gb WD HD 8mb
Liteon dvd-rom
Enermax 435w. (I though this would be sufficent... is this the problem?)

On a seperate issue I inabled SLI in the nvidia drivers but when the few times 3dmark has made it all the way through, my score was 4700 which seems pretty low for my SLI setup.
Also, the CPU benchmark was extremely crappy and it almost seems like the second core is not being used even though windows says it is. One more thing too, I enabled in the nvidia drivers the SLI GPU load thing and in 3dmark it did seem from the bar like it was sharing the load... though my score says different. Any ideas? thanks.

I bought a P5NSLI when it first came out but replaced it soon after with a non-SLI Intel board. All I can say about the board is that it had a major design flaw...just touch the northbridge heatsink to find out.

That said, I still have my P5NSLI in the box.

Mine works just fine with an e6300 and SLIed 7600 GSes. Have never had any posting problems or SLI issues. Sounds like either the PSU or some sort of software issues.

Sometimes I power on and it won't post, all I'll have to do is power off and on again and it comes alive.

I ran into something similiar, when you hit the power button does everything else come on?
Like the fans, DVD Drive, HDDs spin up etc?
Just no post and no video?

Be sure to remove any PCI cards you have in there, even if they're "known good". I had such a prob with the first MSI Neo4 Platinum/SLI board. It turned out I had a PCI card that was picky about which slot it was in. After I rearranged the cards it worked as expected.

Back