problems with new build

El Barto

Limp Gawd
I have built about 7 computers in total, but having a serious issue with the most recent build.

Components:

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

PNY VCG88GTSXPB GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail

Track 1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS
OCZ Gamer XStream 700W power supply
Generic DVD-R 16x
DVD ROM 16X

I plug it in, turn it on and the power supply flashes blue for a about 1/4 of a second then shuts off for 2 seconds, then it repeats this. It's like the power from the power supply won't Stay on.

Everything is hooked up except keyboard, monitor and mouse.

The motherboard light flashes and the fans start to spin for a 1/4 second to if that is helpful?

Any suggestions?

Troubleshooting - First take everything off the board and reseat it. Clear cmos.Start it with only the processor, video card and ram. See if it boots. The fan starting for 1/4 second and then shutting off will continue, scared me to death the first few times that I saw it. Normally it starts, turns off for 3/4 second, then restarts.

I will restart in the morning. I am a little too tired to do it now.
So, you're saying the behavior with the mobo and fan's turning on for a 1/4 second and shutting off for 3/4 (then restarting over again) is not bad!?!

Should I restart all the way with reseating the processor, video card and ram?

the c2d i believe can run (hotter than recommended) without the fan as long as you have somewhat of a breeze blowing cool air over it...

but don't quote me on this i just remember reading it somewhere and cant find the link anymore...

I think I found the problem(s)

1) It stated up fine this morning after last night when I reseated the power to the motherboard (my Power Supply has a eATX 20+4). It was a little confusing, hadn't seen one of those before

2) also, I reseated my Geforce 8800 GTS.

3) Started up no problems, stayed, on, now just have to hook up the monitor, keyboard, mouse and install an OS tonight.

Back