PolygonGTC
[H]ard|Gawd
- Joined
- Jan 6, 2006
- Messages
- 1,791
Symptoms:
I'm having a peculiar problem with my new build
Corsair 750AX
Asus P8P67 LE
Intel Core i7 2600K
Mushkin Blackline 8GB PC3 10666 8-8-8-24
MSi Cyclone Radeon R6850
Windows 7 Pro x64
After installing Windows I installed all the drivers and then I ran Windows Update. I left and came back a little later to find it waiting on a prompt. After clicking yes I went to open the control panel to keep the system from going to sleep. As soon as I clicked on the control panel the screen went blank. Here's the peculiar part. The light was still green on the monitor, meaning it was still getting a signal. I tried Ctrl+Alt+Delete and nothing came up. So, I switched to the second head and I had video. I clicked cancel and the video was scrambled. You could still make things out and the system wasn't locked.
I powered down and booted it back up to remove the Windows Update driver and install the ATi driver. I opened up Internet Explorer and as it was loading MSN it did it again. So I rebooted into safe mode and removed the driver in there. I downloaded the driver on another computer and rebooted in Windows. I installed the driver and rebooted. When it came back up I tried to log in and as soon as I hit enter the screen just went blue. Tried the second head and no signal. Still blue on the first head. I rebooted and logged in fine. I ran the Windows experience crap to see if pushing the card was an issue and it went through that just fine until it hit the HDD test. As it was testing the HDD it did it again. However, I let it sit until it was done and pushed the reset button. After getting back in it had completed the score. Opened IE again and it did it again, except it went blue and then went to a different shade of blue with lines through it. Then I decided to see if it would sit all night. So I had it download updates and went to bed. Next morning it was still fine. As soon as I told it to reboot to finalize the updates, including SP1, it went blank and eventually rebooted. Came back up and applied the updates fine.
Diagnosis:
I've run memtest on the memory: passed.
I've run chkdsk /r /f on the main drive: no issues.
I ran the Windows memory test: passed.
Disabled XMP in the BIOS by setting the memory to factory specs manually.
Tested the PSU with a tester before completing the build.
Reseated video card.
From the start I've been thinking it's the video card. However, I'm concerned about voltages causing issues. I'm going to try a 4850 I'm trying to sell to see if it happens with it. I don't have it here though and I'd like to see if anyone had any other ideas that I can try out between now and then.
I'm having a peculiar problem with my new build
Corsair 750AX
Asus P8P67 LE
Intel Core i7 2600K
Mushkin Blackline 8GB PC3 10666 8-8-8-24
MSi Cyclone Radeon R6850
Windows 7 Pro x64
After installing Windows I installed all the drivers and then I ran Windows Update. I left and came back a little later to find it waiting on a prompt. After clicking yes I went to open the control panel to keep the system from going to sleep. As soon as I clicked on the control panel the screen went blank. Here's the peculiar part. The light was still green on the monitor, meaning it was still getting a signal. I tried Ctrl+Alt+Delete and nothing came up. So, I switched to the second head and I had video. I clicked cancel and the video was scrambled. You could still make things out and the system wasn't locked.
I powered down and booted it back up to remove the Windows Update driver and install the ATi driver. I opened up Internet Explorer and as it was loading MSN it did it again. So I rebooted into safe mode and removed the driver in there. I downloaded the driver on another computer and rebooted in Windows. I installed the driver and rebooted. When it came back up I tried to log in and as soon as I hit enter the screen just went blue. Tried the second head and no signal. Still blue on the first head. I rebooted and logged in fine. I ran the Windows experience crap to see if pushing the card was an issue and it went through that just fine until it hit the HDD test. As it was testing the HDD it did it again. However, I let it sit until it was done and pushed the reset button. After getting back in it had completed the score. Opened IE again and it did it again, except it went blue and then went to a different shade of blue with lines through it. Then I decided to see if it would sit all night. So I had it download updates and went to bed. Next morning it was still fine. As soon as I told it to reboot to finalize the updates, including SP1, it went blank and eventually rebooted. Came back up and applied the updates fine.
Diagnosis:
I've run memtest on the memory: passed.
I've run chkdsk /r /f on the main drive: no issues.
I ran the Windows memory test: passed.
Disabled XMP in the BIOS by setting the memory to factory specs manually.
Tested the PSU with a tester before completing the build.
Reseated video card.
From the start I've been thinking it's the video card. However, I'm concerned about voltages causing issues. I'm going to try a 4850 I'm trying to sell to see if it happens with it. I don't have it here though and I'd like to see if anyone had any other ideas that I can try out between now and then.