Problems with network after switching from a switch to a router

rlee

Gawd
after buying a dlink 604 router, and switching it with my netgear switch, my microsoft networking does not work anymore. i am unable to access the shared files on the machines. sometimes i cant even see the computers under the workgroup. firewalls are off, please help thx

also, i used the network wizard in windows and chose that my computer is connected through a residential gateway, which i believe is also known as a router. before i switched the netgear with the dlink, my setting was on the hub setting. i tried both settings, still does not work. all 3 machines are running windows xp

some more info: my desktop is 192.168.0.100 and my laptop is 192.168.0.102. i can't ping each other, whats up with that? this is frustrating!! please help

Your settings will not change on your local machines. You are still connected to a switch...

Basic questions, but are both machines physically connected to the switch? Do both machines have link lights? Can the machines ping themselves (when you execute the ping command your packets will actually traverse the wire testing your connectivity to the switch)?

PHUNBALL said:
Your settings will not change on your local machines. You are still connected to a switch...

What do you mean? I reran the network wizard and chose that my computers are connected to a residential gateway

rlee said:
What do you mean? I reran the network wizard and chose that my computers are connected to a residential gateway

I updated my post. What I am saying is the "router" has nothing to do with your problem. The "switch" in that device is what you are concerned with. Before you had a router and a switch (two seperate devices), now you have a router and a switch in the same box, get it??

the link lights are on. i have my dsl modem connected to the wan port, my laptop and desktop connected to port 2 and 3. both can get on the internet, but they cannot ping each other.

Post the interface settings for each machine... Include:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Gateway

Also, have you tried switching ports?

PHUNBALL said:
Post the interface settings for each machine... Include:

IP Address
Subnet Mask
Gateway

Also, have you tried switching ports?

i havnt tried switching ports... theres 3 machines. laptop, desktop, and sister's desktop. laptop and sister's desktop can communicate, but my desktop cant communicate with anyone.

laptop
ip: 192.168.0.102
sub: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.0.1

desktop
ip: 192.168.0.100

sister's desktop
ip: 192.168.0.101

the router can ping to laptop and sister's desktop, but not to my desktop

i just fixed it. i had to RUN zone alarm, and then close it. i dont know why, its so weird. it was never on in the first place.

PHUNBALL said:
Good Job., but I thought you said all of the firewall's were turned off... :p

they are. thats the weird part. zone alarm WASNT running. i had to RUN it, then shut it down. then it worked. so weird. i just uninstalled that pos

Back