Problems with my Webserver

Ok, just recently my webserver has been giving me problems. Mainly it will not load pages any faster than about 2kbps. Internally or Externally. I'm currently running Windows 2k with apache 2.0.44. I had changed nothing before this started happening. When i goto the page, the page will connect, i'll get my background, txt and txt links. However any pictures......yea it'll take about 4 minutes to load 120kb pic. When i download off my site, i get about 1.7kbps. This is the list of things i've already done to try and fix the problem:

Restarted Router
Restarted ADSL Modem
Restarted Switch
Restarded System
Scanned for spyware
Scanned for virii
Completely wiped my webserver and started over from scratch
Tried the newest version of Apache.
Tried the newest version of NOIP.com
Put the machine in the DMZ
Took the machine out of the DMZ
Tried different IP addresses manually
Tried DHCP
Tried different Cat5e / Cat6 cables

I'm lost as to how this could still be a problem. If anyone has any input i would be forever greatful. Thanks

Only things that I can think of:

Bad NIC
Bad switch or bad port on switch
Bad router

Have you transferred files via smb/ftp/ssh/scp or anyway else to make sure there isn't something in the network links that is causing the problems? That's about all I can come up with off the top of my head.

sandmanx said:
Only things that I can think of:

Bad NIC
Bad switch or bad port on switch
Bad router

Have you transferred files via smb/ftp/ssh/scp or anyway else to make sure there isn't something in the network links that is causing the problems? That's about all I can come up with off the top of my head.
Yes sorry i forgot to mention transfering files from one PC to another via network shares are 100mbps, transfers just fine, as it should.

I'd still try changing the same things I said above. It sounds like they are the only constants in the equation. I've had things like that happen before where a bad NIC will slow some services down and other operate fine, so you never know.

sandmanx said:
I'd still try changing the same things I said above. It sounds like they are the only constants in the equation. I've had things like that happen before where a bad NIC will slow some services down and other operate fine, so you never know.
Hmm i'll have to try that, it might be the systemboard as there is already a dead PCI slot i believe. As no NICs i put in that slot will show up in device manager. My NICs have been getting shady on me as of late.

Thnx :D

out of curiousity, you should turn on IIS on a different port and see if the speeds are restricted like apache. I don't think your problem is with the NIC card, but a configuration issue.

StickyLoad said:
out of curiousity, you should turn on IIS on a different port and see if the speeds are restricted like apache. I don't think your problem is with the NIC card, but a configuration issue.
the odd thing is i haven't touched this server in months. All of a sudden my speeds are worse than 56k speeds. I've checked my httpd.conf file and everythign is setup the way it should be, the way i've always had it. I tried changing ports but that didn't help either. I even tried changing my router settings to RIP-Multicasting from RIP-B but still nothing. :(

is that speed local or internet? Maybe your ISP is limiting your upload speed?

This also sounds like a possible DNS timeout issue. If possible, install a sniffer and see if you notice port 53 things happening. My guess is that the webserver is trying to resolve something and it has to wait for a timeout then proceeds. Try using all IP's and no hostnames in all the configs and see if it helps. Doublecheck your DNS configs. Turn off any reverse DNS lookups you may have for logging.

Ethereal is a good, free sniffer. www.ethereal.com

Back