Problems With Jumbo Frames

BuGaLoU

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok so I am having some trouble here getting my gigabit network going with jumbo frames. I completely isolated all gigabit devices and set the MTU to 9000 on all of them and enabled jumbo frames in the network card configuration. Then reset all the equipment and computers fresh.

It works for like surfing the web but then when I go to browse files over the network in windows explorer the network drives show up, but none of its contents are listed. Also my remote desktop to my server is flakey. It disconects at random it seems. I am getting no packet loss and my network connection is physically good.

I have a SMC 850ST switch and all DLink DGE-530-T NICs.

Any pointers or ideas would be great!

i remember reading somewhere that the dlinks where not reliable using jumbo frames. I did quite a bit of reading about them becasue i was looking into upgrading my whole netowrk to gigE and i must have jumbo frames. For the price, the dlink really struck my attention but i heard quite abit about them not holding up very well.

Apparently intel is the way to go if u want to do the jumbo frames thang

Could be it. Thanks for the heads up. I got the DLinks cause I got them for like 10 bucks each from someone in the FS/FT forums.

Is there a great advatange for jumbo frames? Enough to justify me scraping all 5 nics and getting an intel variant?

I doubt it. You should play arround with diffrent setups, maybe just one of the systems/cards is causing a problem.

Maybe the server isn't configed properly for jumbo frames, dunno. my gigE experance is very limited... i set up my friends home netowrk using gigE cards and a SMC router, and everythign just worked fine

Back