Bullworth99
n00b
- Joined
- Oct 29, 2005
- Messages
- 3
I have been experiencing problems with adding most types of hard drives to my computer. I have a fairly new Dell (SP2 installed). The problem first started about a month ago when I bought a 74 gb raptor to run my OS and programs on. I installed the new drive and it worked fine. I reformated the previous 250 gb SATA boot drive. I also have a 160 gb IDE drive installed internally through an IDE-PCI card. (It should also be mentioned that the original 250 gb boot drive had failed shortly after I installed the raptor, although I doubt the events are related. The one I have now is a replacement from Dell.)
The first issue is with my iPod. It is a 60gb video, about a year old. Whenever I plug it into my computer, Windows acknowledges that a hard drive has been attached. But itunes says that the ipod is corrupted and says it cannot be restored. I know this is not true because I can take the ipod to any other computer and it works fine.
The second issue is with USB drives. I have several jump drives and mp3 players that plug in through USB. Very often, when I plug them in, Windows will recognize that they have been plugged in , but if I try to transfer files to them, I usually get an error message such as "Path is too deep" or "I/o device error."
Another manifestation of this problem occurs sometimes when I plug in one of these devies and my computer will freeze untill the device is unplugged.
This problem sporatically extends itself to regular external hard drives as well.
I am guessing that what I am experiencing is all one problem. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The first issue is with my iPod. It is a 60gb video, about a year old. Whenever I plug it into my computer, Windows acknowledges that a hard drive has been attached. But itunes says that the ipod is corrupted and says it cannot be restored. I know this is not true because I can take the ipod to any other computer and it works fine.
The second issue is with USB drives. I have several jump drives and mp3 players that plug in through USB. Very often, when I plug them in, Windows will recognize that they have been plugged in , but if I try to transfer files to them, I usually get an error message such as "Path is too deep" or "I/o device error."
Another manifestation of this problem occurs sometimes when I plug in one of these devies and my computer will freeze untill the device is unplugged.
This problem sporatically extends itself to regular external hard drives as well.
I am guessing that what I am experiencing is all one problem. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!