Problems with FEAR (original)

lodingi

2[H]4U
I'm having a problem with FEAR. I always play the game at max resolution & settings and get a comfortable 170-250 fps. Now all of a sudden, I start off at said fps, but then it goes down to a constant 28 fps. If I quit & restart the game, the same scenario happens. Here's what I've done. Give me your thoughts. Thanks.

• Forced v-sync off in game & Nvidia control panel.
  • Uninstalled & reinstalled various drivers. I used Driver Cleaner each time.
  • Uninstalled & reinstalled the game several times.
  • Wiped directories after each uninstall.
It only happens with this game. No other games appears to be affected.

Try setting the CPU affinity on the game-- open task manager (ctrl+alt+del) while the game is running, right click the FEAR.exe process (under processes tab) and click set affinity. Uncheck all cores but the first, click save/ok and see if that helps. You may have to restart the game.

same thing happened to me about half way through. Uninstall drivers rebooted reinstalled and fixed it.now Im sure its just a certain piece thats the issue but I don't recall.

Try setting the CPU affinity on the game-- open task manager (ctrl+alt+del) while the game is running, right click the FEAR.exe process (under processes tab) and click set affinity. Uncheck all cores but the first, click save/ok and see if that helps. You may have to restart the game.

Didn't work. Same problem.

I uninstalled the game & drivers again. Reinstalled FEAR into a different directory. Reinstalled drivers & nothing changed. What's really bizarre is it starts off normal, with good frames. After a minute or 2 of playing, it drops right down to 28 fps & stays there.

Last edited:
Well today I got frustrated and decided to do a complete format & reinstall. I installed W7 64. I then installed updates & drivers. I then installed FEAR & started the game. Same fucking problem. Game started off at 200+ fps. After a minute of play, it dropped to 28 fps & stayed at 28. WTF!!

I hope someone can help.

Someone was having a similar problem with wow on win7 a couple days ago. Have you patched it? I find it weird that it would start normal then turn to crap. Tells me its not the version but maybe some windows function. Hopefully no issues with win7.

I figured it out. I moved my mouse to a different usb port & my fps went back to normal.

I figured it out. I moved my mouse to a different usb port & my fps went back to normal.

That's very interesting! Was it originally plugged into a USB 1.x port, and is now in a 2.0 port, perhaps? (Though I am unclear as to how that would affect FPS).

No, it's some freakish, wierd bug that happens only in FEAR to certain USB mice/keyboards. The game will be playing fine, anywhere from a minute or two up to an hour then suddenly and without warning the framerates will tank to unplayable levels. The only way to fix it is to restart the game, or do the aformentioned "fix (hack)" to get it to work properly.

I spoke to soon. It did it again. Now I'm forced to use one of the front usb ports. When the frames tank, I unplug the mouse for a couple seconds until the frames jump back up. Then plug the mouse back in and continue playing. I thinks it's time to uninstall & move on.

Back