Problems with Diablo 2

Lazzor

n00b
Hello everyone. With the release of Diablo 3 coming soon, I got a bit nostalgic, and decided to pop in Diablo 2. The game runs smoothly at first, but occasionally the color will go out, and the only way to fix it is by leaving my game and joining again. I bought my computer from a company called Ironside Computers, and it's running SLI GTX 570's. The computer runs every other game smoothly, but with Diablo 2 it seems to have that issue. Does anyone know how to fix this? Does SLI have anything to do with this? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, I disabled sli, and though the color still does occasionally get screwed up, it is much better then before. If you know anything else to permanently fix it, I would really appreciate it.

Yep and make sure you are running it in Direct 3D mode. Lazzor what is your name I am playing again. Mine is Necrostiffy. PM me yours. Thanks.

How do I run it in direct 3d mode?

Start Menu - Diablo 2 - Video Settings or something like that. You could also probably configure .ini files, but I am at work right now so everything game related is blocked by our proxy.

I actually just called Ironside Computers customer service to see if they could help me, and they told me to run it in compatibility mode for Windows xp service pack 2, and select everything that says disable on that page. It seems to work so far. I've only been playing for a short time, but so far so good.

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned compatibility mode before. It should work fine now with 1 GPU and compatibility mode, have fun!

You need to pull out that 10 year old computer for D2 to work correctly. Your computer is too fast for D2.

Diablo 2 is now so old it might be worth popping it into a Virtual Machine...

A friend told me that rather than finding frame-rate limiters and such he just runs all his old-school games in virtual machines.

...Now I'm oddly nostalgic for System Shock 2... I might have to try that on this new laptop... right now...

Install a GLIDE wrapper and use that to play D2 with - performs much better than DX mode and gets the colors right. There's one someone wrote specifically for D2 that works very well. On my computer I would get 3 fps in diablo's chamber and anywhere with heavy lighting effects in DX mode. GLIDE doesn't have that problem.

One word of advice, don't run the game in Direct 3D mode. Go to the "Video Test" in your start menu and change it to "Direct Draw". It will run much faster and is the ideal way for modern computers these days. Alternatively you could use a Glide wrapper like previously mentioned, but it's not needed in my opinion. Whatever you do though don't use Direct 3D mode.

I've been running it on the righ in my sig, win 7 64 bit, and it hasn't crashed on me yet. Not sure how that happened, but it is working fine in D3D mode.

You can actually fix the color problems by closing the explorer.exe. Also, along with enabling compatibility mode and the Disable desktop composition should make the nasty colors disappear.

Just start task manager and type explorer in the run field to bring your desktop back.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks again everyone for the replies. I don't mean to get off subject, but does anyone know when Diablo 3 is coming out? Also, has anyone tried the beta yet? Is it good?

Back