problems with Dell Precison M6300

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
Having a very weird problem with one of the laptops at work...all of a sudden, the USB ports are not working properly. The devices power on but do not work.
I've tried flash drives, USB hard drives, and mice; it is trying to find drivers which do not exist for these things.
When I go into device manager, I get a yellow question mark next to the device that is plugged in, and it says 'this device is not configured correctly'.
I called Dell and the only thing they could recommend is doing a BIOS update, this computer is from 2008. He is running Windows XP SP3 if that helps.

Thanks,
Jeff

I was able to get USB drives working...copied the I386 file from an XP cd to the hard drive and updated drivers once I plugged a flash drive and hard drive in. However, I am still unable to get any USB mouse to work. It goes through the same driver thing, I install the drivers from C:\I386 and appears to install correctly, but the mouse does not function.
Any thoughts?

You can try to remove the USB controller from Device Manager, do a rescan and see if that helps.

Back