Problems with CRT

GN85

Limp Gawd
Hello ppl,

I just bought a MultiSync FP2141SB (aka 2070SB) on ebay. Overall it looks nice, and bright, but there's some stuff that I need to improve/fix on it, and I want to know if i can do this on my own.

The first problem is the black which is.... well, not really black. It looks like a dark gray beside my 930SB, and the darker colors don't seem enough saturated.

The second problem is the focus on the 4 corners. Is there a way to fix that, or at least improve it a bit?

I've been searching the net a bit and haven't come up with any good sites with guides to stuff like this. Do any of you know any by any chance?

Thanks

Also bought a lightly used 2141SB. The four corners on my unit were just a tad blurrier than the center, barely noticeable. Turns out using vga input #2 cleared it up totally. Sounds like you need a calibration to get your blacks fixed up. You can "slightly" calibrate by eye by using one of the free proggies online. But to get true and accurate colors you'll need a monitor calibrator, which is worth every penny imho, you could even split the cost with a friend or family member if necessary (know any amateur photographers?)

Otherwise i'm going to list a few things you can try.

- Try using vga input #2, or the opposite of what you're using now.
- Remove any interference-prone dvi-vga adapters and try running a straight vga-vga cable, does your video card have true vga output?
- Make sure your vga cable is intact ie; bent pins, kinked cable, less than 10 feet long etc
- Lower your resolution to 1400x1050 and set refresh to 80-85hz, just to experiment.
- Try setting all your monitor's internal settings to "default" and "reset" and "restore" everything in the monitor menu, follow up with your preference tweaks.
- Try messing with the landing adjustments, and the convergence settings if you have to, be sure to write down the original values just in case.
- You might some more troubleshooting info here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1187019
- maybe send out a quick email to the seller to notify them that you "may" be returning a monitor, hopefully it isn't necessary.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your response. Tried most stuff you posted, and can't seem to fix my bright black issue. Gonna keep looking around a bit on the net, but I guess I'll have to return it if I can't solve my problem.

Anyone have any experience returning items to a seller with no clear return policy? I don't really want to pay the price of the monitor itself in shipping costs.

NP. Oh yea, did you try setting it the color temperature to "sRGB" mode? If that still doesn't help your blacks then you'll probably be returning that monitor. It would be odd imho if you had a brightness issue (bright and washed out blacks) since it mostly affected trinitron tubes and not diamondtron's, that i know of...

If that doesn't work then i'd email the seller and explain your concerns about shipping expenses. If possible, offer to take pictures of what you are talking about, might be hard to capture on a camera though. The key is to be as nice and reasonable as possible, and give the merchant some time to come around. If that gets you nowhere then slowly begin pulling out heavier artillery (paypal dispute, threats of bad feedback etc etc).

Hopefully it all works out for ya, and with minimal frustration.

Hehe yeah I sure hope so, but tbh I don't think I'll get too far with the seller. Still gonna try and be polite, see how it goes.

sRGB made a difference on the black, but my monitor with the blank screensaver enabled is still not black when compared to my other monitor, so that didn't solve it. :(

I think you should go through the Adobe Gamma tweak or try to modify your in-windows color profile for the monitor. Try seeing if you can grab any drivers for the monitor.

I have that exact same tube and I know that if I use a different monitor's color profile within windows, everything is tweaked and looks brighter, and blacks aren't black, etc.

Also try going through the different super-bright settings on the monitor to make sure you're on the default setting.

Color-tweaking the monitor settings is one thing, but since you've already tried that, I'd go into the windows brightness settings and see what you can play around with. I have Adobe Creative Suite so I don't know if Adobe Gamma can be obtained freely. That is what I would try, though - you'll be color calibrating your monitor by eye, at least, and it should help with your levels.

Try changing your video card color settings, and see what else you can do.

If you're still having problems, maybe I can send you my 2070SB's ICM color profile to try. I wouldn't give up though - from years of use I can say that if it isn't calibrated correctly or is using the wrong profile, it will look really wrong and you'll think the monitor is broken. I did that to myself a few times.

I wish it was color settings or something like that, but I don't think it can be solved in Windows itself, since the problem is already obvious when the computer boots up and I get the normal white text on black background. Nevertheless, I played around with some settings using PowerStrip, but to no avail. :(

As a final go, what are your monitor settings for color set to, as well as brightness/contrast? I'll compare to mine.

As a final go, what are your monitor settings for color set to, as well as brightness/contrast? I'll compare to mine.

Thanks for your offer to help further, but I already unplugged the monitor, got fed up with it lol. Besides, I tried setting every setting I can find to minimum, and it's still not black, so really I don't think your settings can beat whatever I already tried :D

did you up your contrast and bring down the brightness some?
all crt's are different but i have my contrast @100 and the brightness @20, but i hardware calibrated it also.

did you let the tube warm up for a good hour first before fritzing with the settings?

can you take pics and post them of what the black problem looks like?

If you still want a CRT check out below.

http://www.nm-select.com/referrer.asp?r=gamer

Its an FE2111Sb-BK but it is brand new and has a 3 year warranty.

Damn, I rather have shot myself than read your post >_<

lol I live in Canada and they don't ship there. I'm also a bit short on cash since I just bought that 2141 monitor on ebay. Thanks for the link though. Do you know how often those monitors become available?

Damn, I rather have shot myself than read your post >_<

lol I live in Canada and they don't ship there. I'm also a bit short on cash since I just bought that 2141 monitor on ebay. Thanks for the link though. Do you know how often those monitors become available?

There are about 200 left in existence. So once that inventory is gone, thats it.

did you up your contrast and bring down the brightness some?
all crt's are different but i have my contrast @100 and the brightness @20, but i hardware calibrated it also.

did you let the tube warm up for a good hour first before fritzing with the settings?

can you take pics and post them of what the black problem looks like?

Sorry, already unplugged and removed my monitor, but to describe the problem, further: In my room, with all the lights shut off (in a completely dark room), my DP930SB is completely black when the blank screensaver is on. Beside it, my 2141SB was displaying dark gray instead of black. It glows and is clearly distinguishable.

You say you hardware calibrate it. By that do you mean you use a calibrator, or do you manually tweak the thing? Because if anyone has info on how to manually alter settings I'd like to know. Would save me a few bucks if I were to bring it in for repair.

Btw warming up the monitor shouldn't be an issue; I've been experiencing problems with it after having it on for a few days :p

Sorry, already unplugged and removed my monitor, but to describe the problem, further: In my room, with all the lights shut off (in a completely dark room), my DP930SB is completely black when the blank screensaver is on. Beside it, my 2141SB was displaying dark gray instead of black. It glows and is clearly distinguishable.

You say you hardware calibrate it. By that do you mean you use a calibrator, or do you manually tweak the thing? Because if anyone has info on how to manually alter settings I'd like to know. Would save me a few bucks if I were to bring it in for repair.

Btw warming up the monitor shouldn't be an issue; I've been experiencing problems with it after having it on for a few days :p
OK i gotcha:cool:
maybe the tube is dying because ( you probably already know this) once the tube heats up crt's give the blackest of blacks.
I hardware calibrated it with a pantone one eye display2 calibrator, a colormeter for color accuracy, here:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/eye-one_display_2.html#

I should have used the term colormeter:p

Back