Problems with BIOSTAR M7NCG

Mr_Evil

2[H]4U
Hey guys I'm working on completing a build for a friend with a Biostar M7NCG mainboard. Here's the problem, it works fine and all but the fucking POST takes so long I can get up and make a sandwich and the thing isn't done getting past detecting the IDE drives. I've tried everything but re-flashing the BIOS (which I can't do cuz freakin BIOSTAR's FTP is down). Here's the specs on the build

BIOSTAR M7NCG 400 mainboard
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
30GB Western Digital Hard Drive (waiting on a new 80GB Seagate)
2x256 meg PC 3200 DDR
onboard graphics audio and LAN.
Lite-On DVD/CDRW drive.

Thanks for any insight you guys may have.

Is the hard drive detection set to auto?

I'd try resetting the CMOS and probably even reseating the CPU just to be sure there's nothing wrong with the HSF or anything.

Mr_Evil said:
Hey guys I'm working on completing a build for a friend with a Biostar M7NCG mainboard. Here's the problem, it works fine and all but the fucking POST takes so long I can get up and make a sandwich and the thing isn't done getting past detecting the IDE drives. I've tried everything but re-flashing the BIOS (which I can't do cuz freakin BIOSTAR's FTP is down). Here's the specs on the build

BIOSTAR M7NCG 400 mainboard
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
30GB Western Digital Hard Drive (waiting on a new 80GB Seagate)
2x256 meg PC 3200 DDR
onboard graphics audio and LAN.
Lite-On DVD/CDRW drive.

Thanks for any insight you guys may have.

How's the PSU for that setup...maybe spin up is taking forever cause of a weak PSU?

Wife's machine was taking hella long until I permanently installed her HDD, it was in a caddy before and the connetcor for power was bad, and one of the fans had a LRC (locked rotor condition) so it was stealing all the juice for spin up.

MD

PSU is a 350W Max Power that came with the Soyo Case. I'll try clearing CMOS and see if that fixes anything. The damn thing now refuses to boot from Hard Disk I can install windows, it boots fine from the HDD on the first boot, then it won't after that.

Warning...
I just went through 3 of those exact boards from NewEgg and they were all bad.

Drove me up a wall, trying to figure out what was wrong.
I rma'd the board, they sent a new one, same stuff.

After doing it all again, I broke down, and bought a different
board locally. No problems....

-Jeff

I have a M7NCD Pro, works fine. A friend has a M7NCG, also works fine :rolleyes:

I think 3 "bad" boards should tell you that the board was not the problem. What kind of CPU?

Granted, you kind of get what you pay for...I bought a Biostar "Bargain Board" as well, and it was the M7NCD. It was not a stellar performer but the user was also a real "Word/Excellaholic" thus it wasn't really necessary for anything spectacular. However the problem definitely sounds like it's the IDE drivers from your NF2 driver installation. I would suggest downloading the newest NF2 drivers from www.nvidia.com[\url] and if that do...rollback your IDE drivers. Good Luck, Jon

I have not had any problems with the SW IDE drivers on my M7NCD. In fact it boots up a lot faster, which I did not expect.

I got this board for $29 shipped. It was a newegg refurb. Sure as hell looked new when I got it, box/plastic/all acessories :cool:

Back