Problems with a new 2003 SB sever install

animeguru

Needs More Cowbell
EDIT: NM, finally found some stuff in the kowledge base

First off, I'm by no means an expert on this, but I somehow got roped into doing it.

Anyway, I'm trying to install 2k3 Server - Small Business Edition on a brand new machine but I keep coming to the same error.

"Domain Configuration - Cannot run DCPromo because the SYSVOL partition is not formatted as NTFS."

Now, I know for a fact that it is formatted as NTFS because after the first time I saw this, I started over and made sure that I did a fresh NTFS format.

I'm thinking that the problem has to do with the fact that I'm installing this on a RAID 1 array on an Abit AA8XE - 3rd eye mobo (using onboard RAID controller), flashed to latest BIOS.

If I remove the drives from RAID and do an install, it works fine but then I can't add the drives back into RAID without dumping the data. Yet if I try to install the OS when the drives are already RAIDed, I get this error every single time.

Any thoughts?? I'm getting a bit annoyed at it, and of course can't find a thing in the MS Knowledge Base. I'm starting to think that it may be easiest for me to install the OS on a 3rd HDD and then ghost it onto the array. Would that work, or am I making this more difficult than it needs to be.

Thanks in advance.

Check under disk management .. are the lines blue...not green.. I've seen weird things where the c drive becomes an extended partition.... and this can cause problems.. but I dont under stand why you cant add the drive back to the array after.. thats the whole point of raid 1.. if one drive fails the data isnt gone.. you plug a new drive in and rebuild the array..

I wound up finding it on MS's website. Converting the array to a dynamic disk fixed the issue. Not sure why, but okay.

Back