Problems with a 9800! HELP!

does anyone know if powercolor's 9800 card will work in a 4x agp slot? I noticed that it says 8x agp but doesnt say anything about 4x... could this be my problem?

Krazy_Joe said:
does anyone know if powercolor's 9800 card will work in a 4x agp slot? I noticed that it says 8x agp but doesnt say anything about 4x... could this be my problem?

what brand is the psu

4x should be fine... I had a friend with some wierd overheating problem on his 9800 Pro, he used Catalyst to set the AGP slot to 4x, and problem solved... He was still able to run any game he threw at it.... Doom 3, CS:S, F.E.A.R., ect

Point being, that shouldnt matter

i mean there is no video on boot... i dont see post screen or windows but it works fine in my newer pc

Power could be a problem, depending on what else you're running on that system.

Also, are you getting any beep code? That could be telling you something as well.

I know it sounds dumb, but are you sure the card is seated properly? I only say it because it happened to me. I changed out some ram in a system, and it was easier to do with the video card out. I pulled the card, changed the ram, and put the vc back in. When I flexed the (cheap) case to seat the retaining screw for the card, it pulled it out ever so slightly from the agp slot. I turned on the machine and WTF?? Beep code?? No video??? What the heck is this thing doing????? :confused:

About 5 minutes later, I figured it out. :)

Krazy_Joe said:
i believe its just a generic 300 watt psu... do you think the card isnt getting enough juice?

Yes, then Im betting its power. Generic psu's are no good. You can get a good psu for around $30-$40

I was also thinking of getting one....Would a 300 watt Antec SmartPower be enough for that x850xt? 15 amps on the 12V.

I would too, but if I upgrade the ps now, I might as well do the rest of the system too, and then I'd just get a x1800xl or something :p....It's either replace the 9800 pro with this AGP x850xt as a band-aid fix for the next 6-12 months or so, or upgrade everything else now. So it really boils down to whether this supply is enough. Except for a video card upgrade, I'm not spending any more on this setup. If the power supply goes, it goes!

It depends what else is in your system, really. If you're going to get a power supply anyway, it's better to spend the few extra bucks for something beefier.

Back