Problems with 2 routers - wireless/wired

xtop

Weaksauce
i have 3 computers. 1 is wireless, 2 are wired. i have one wireless router, one wired.

all computers can connect to either router if they're wired. the wireless computer can't connect wirelessly.

i have the 2 wired computers hooked to the wired router, then the wireless router is hooked to the wired router to provide wireless net. and everything works fine except the wireless lol.

got a linksys BEFSR41, and a dlink di 524. as far as i know everything is hooked up correclty and configured correctly, its just the light thats supposed to be on for the wireless router isn't on and i have no idea why. maybe something isn't hooked up right? i dunno. never done wireless before

aim me at epiphany dealer if that'll be easier. i hope that wasn't too confusing to read lol

Ensure that your settings are correct on both ends. On the client end, ensure that you have installed the adapter and its drivers properly, and that the OS recognizes it. At the access point, ensure that you have enabled encryption, and use the same setting back at the client. May I ask why you are using a wireless and a wired router. Ditch the wired router, its onlymaking this more complicated than it needs to be. Here are some resources, and please use 128 bit encryption:
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wirelessproducts/a/howtobuildwlan.htm
http://www.homenethelp.com/802.11b/index.asp
http://www.winncom.com/html/wireless.shtml

i'm doing it this way because when my lil bro goes off to college he's taking the wireless router with him, that way there's less unplugging and replugging to do. and the fact that cable modem is on the first floor and the wireless computer will be on the 2nd floor. i dont trust the integrity of the connection through floors

Shouldnt have too much trouble just going through a floor. How far away is the computer from the WAP and how many walls does it pass through?

its probably 50 ft away, going through around 3 walls and the floor

Re-Orient the computer and/or the access point by a few feet. You may be suffering from cold spots caused by metal, wiring, other electronics, cement walls, etc.

well i tried using just one router. and the router still wont send a wireless signal. bad router?

Move the client computer say to one room away or place it in the same room. This can help eliminate or confirm the problem as being in hardware not distance. Also, in the configuration, switch channel. It is possible that you're receiving interference from other networks.

well i've tried it having the router right beside the computer, and rooms away. switched channels and nothing changes. the router doesn't send a signal

edit: now after about 30 seconds it drops the wired connection too, this router is completely and utterly useless

xtop said:
well i've tried it having the router right beside the computer, and rooms away. switched channels and nothing changes. the router doesn't send a signal

edit: now after about 30 seconds it drops the wired connection too, this router is completely and utterly useless
There is equipment problem somewhere. Before you condemn the router, try another wireless adapter, although the problem usually is the router.

Back