Problems Using Plasma TV for PC Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highwind

[H]ard|Gawd
Hokay, so over the past few years I've been using a DVI-HDMI adapter to run my PC into a LCD TV. Works like a charm. However, when I try to use a plasma TV as a computer monitor via HDMI, without fail, I can not get the desired "XXXXp" resolution.

Example: I run my GTX260 into a 720p/1080i plasma, and at 1280x720 the screen is cut off on all sides--the mouse will still move there, I just can't see anything. I can remedy this by choosing some bizarre resolution that the video drivers recognize (1700 by 1000 or something to that effect), which fixes the cutoff issue.

I've had this same effect over the years with every plasma I've connected to via HDMI. By contrast, every LCD] I have plugged into via HDMI has automatically hit the target (1360x768 or 1080p). ATI/NVIDIA is not a factor. The scenario has been the same using a 7800GT, 9800GT, GTX260, HD4870.

What's up with plasma as a monitor?

It has nothing to do with LCD or plasma, but the electronics in the TV. Some TVs, like my Sony LCD, allows you to specify 1:1 "zoom", which means it actually shows a 1920x1080 image. Otherwise, TV still for some bizzarro reason has overscan, which cuts off ~5-10% of the picture. That is why the edges are being cut off, because the TV is assuming the picture is coming from a DVD player or console or something of that nature where overscan is expected.

You can either correct for it on the computer side (ATI and Nvidia both have overscan controls somewhere), or you can see if you can correct it on the TV side (disable overscan - try playing around with the different picture "zoom" modes). I've also used some TVs where sending the native resolution disabled overscan (for example, on smaller LCD TVs the native resolution is sometimes 1366x768, and sending that resolution disables overscan).

Hokay, so over the past few years I've been using a DVI-HDMI adapter to run my PC into a LCD TV. Works like a charm. However, when I try to use a plasma TV as a computer monitor via HDMI, without fail, I can not get the desired "XXXXp" resolution.

Example: I run my GTX260 into a 720p/1080i plasma, and at 1280x720 the screen is cut off on all sides--the mouse will still move there, I just can't see anything. I can remedy this by choosing some bizarre resolution that the video drivers recognize (1700 by 1000 or something to that effect), which fixes the cutoff issue.

I've had this same effect over the years with every plasma I've connected to via HDMI. By contrast, every LCD] I have plugged into via HDMI has automatically hit the target (1360x768 or 1080p). ATI/NVIDIA is not a factor. The scenario has been the same using a 7800GT, 9800GT, GTX260, HD4870.

What's up with plasma as a monitor?
Ypu just haven't found the right video card and TV menu settings yet.

You can also disable overscan in the video card control panel, and try feeding the TV 1365x768 and if that doesn't work then try 1366x768, and look for any 1:1 options in the TV menu, it might use a phrase like "just scan" or "just fit" or some other related phrase.... and a 60 hz refresh rate of course. 1360x768 only works sometimes on plasma.

And if you own a particularly stubborn TV then you may have to use VGA instead but i sorta doubt it.

What make and model plasma are you using? I'll see if i can dig up any particulars on it when i get back tonight.

Nvidia makes you choose the bizarre resolution to make it fit. I only used it briefly on my old pc, not sure if it's actually outputting the image at that res or what, but it was a pain compared to ATI.

ATI, go to scan options, move the slider a little to make image a perfect fit and you're done. TV still says 1920x1080 is being displayed.

My Panasonic G25 plasma has no problems with DVI->HDMI input at native res (1920x1080). I've only done it a couple of times but with a variety of hardware including circa 2003/2004 laptops

This might not be worth mentioning, but have you tried auto adjust on the plasma.
Almost forgot about what marksman said OP, before you try the other advice i posted, try the "auto adjust" option in the TV menu, but before you try it make sure your videocard is outputting the exact native resolution of the panel @ 60hz refresh (this is important).

If that still doesn't work then go on to try the advice i posted above, then do an "auto adjust" again after each new attempt.

And like i said before, post us the exact make and model of your plasma so we can help you better, otherwise our help will involve a lot of guessing ;)

Ypu just haven't found the right video card and TV menu settings yet.

You can also disable overscan in the video card control panel, and try feeding the TV 1365x768 and if that doesn't work then try 1366x768, and look for any 1:1 options in the TV menu, it might use a phrase like "just scan" or "just fit" or some other related phrase.... and a 60 hz refresh rate of course. 1360x768 only works sometimes on plasma.

And if you own a particularly stubborn TV then you may have to use VGA instead but i sorta doubt it.

What make and model plasma are you using? I'll see if i can dig up any particulars on it when i get back tonight.

This might not be worth mentioning, but have you tried auto adjust on the plasma.

Well, I don't own or regularly use a plasma. I use a LCD but have had this issue with several friends' plasmas, none of which I bothered to note make/model. If I end up plugging into one again I will try disabling overscan, but I have definitely tried autoadjust, and that hasn't worked out on any of them.

No biggie really, I just figured I'd throw the question out there. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back