Problems using DVI/HDMI cable. Help me diagnose

reductant

Limp Gawd
Hi, I'm using an HP w2408h LCD monitor that has VGA and HDMI inputs only. My graphics card is an ATI X800, and I have installed the most recent drivers. When using VGA, everything is fine. When using a DVI-HDMI cable, the signal eventually cuts off after a few minutes. I cannot get the signal to come back unless I restart the computer, but the signal will eventually cut off again. After the signal cuts off and I switch to VGA (while unplugging the DVI/HDMI cable), I still cannot get the signal to come back unless I restart the computer.

So, my suspicion is that the problem is with the graphics card. I am looking to buy a new card anyways, but now I am concerned that I should purchase a card that outputs via HDMI, not DVI. Do you think the problem could be with the cable?

Does the O/S detect and load a driver for that 2408LCD? Or... does it use a generic PNP driver? What O/S are you running? The problem might be the cable but if you don't have a spare you may need to buy one or borrow one to check. I would try to investigate a little more before buying another video card. Also, if you have another device that uses an HDMI connection like a DVD player, try connecting that to your LCD and see if it cuts off after a few minutes.

Does the O/S detect and load a driver for that 2408LCD? Or... does it use a generic PNP driver? What O/S are you running? The problem might be the cable but if you don't have a spare you may need to buy one or borrow one to check. I would try to investigate a little more before buying another video card. Also, if you have another device that uses an HDMI connection like a DVD player, try connecting that to your LCD and see if it cuts off after a few minutes.

Well, I do have a PS3 and connecting it using an HDMI cable does not result in any problem. That's why I don't think the problem is the monitor. I am using Windows Vista x64, and when I connected the monitor, a driver was automatically downloaded from HP. Catalyst Center detects an HP w2408 (not w2408h). When I connected the computer to the monitor, ATI Catalyst recognized that I was using a DVI to HDMI cable and informed about connecting a separate cable for audio. I have tried playing with settings in the Catalyst Center, such Reduce DVI Frequency or Alternate DVI Frequency. This is difficult to really test, though, because these options only appear while the DVI is being used, and as I said, the signal cuts off eventually. I have checked the frequency of the monitor. Although my computer was set to 59 Hz, I changed it to 60 Hz.

Hmm...this may sound silly as your VGA port works but, in the power options in control panel, what is the setting to Turn off monitor for the power scheme? Is it set to like 5 min or less? Try adjusting that to Never or a longer duration. See if this does any good.

I have checked my power settings in Vista. I have everything set to Never. I uninstalled ATI CCC and the drivers. I then reinstalled using the Vista-default drivers and then updated with the new 8.3 drivers. Now my problem seems limited to whenever Vista switches into Vista Basic mode when running games. The monitor will go to sleep about a minute after Vista switches into Basic theme. I can only bring it back by pressing the sleep button on my computer twice or restarting.

Any idea what I can do about this now?

Back