Problems typing text; jumps to mouse cursor

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Wow... another strange problem I've been posed with. This is what I am calling "pre-emptive troubleshooting". My friend has reported to me that he has a laptop (looked up model; newer laptop). He has this problem where whenever he is typing, no matter what the application is, no matter where he is typing, during the typing his line cursor signifying where the letters will go will jump from it's current position to where the mouse cursor is; then start typing there.

I have never heard of this before. I mean say he is typing in these forums, in a box exactly like the one I am typing to you on. If he has his cursor on the right side of the box, and as usual as you type your words go from left to right, his cursor could jump to right where the mouse is, and start typing there... this causes extremely large gaps in his message and messes sentences up.

Has anyone heard of anything similar to this before? I sure haven't, but I would like to fix it for him. This happens on every single application, and he does not have any sort of other random application running.

Some laptop's shells are fairly thin to a point where if you rest your palm too heavily below the keyboard, the touchpad will act up.

Personally I disable the touchpad and use a wireless laptop mouse, but if he needs the touchpad, he's going to have to train himself not to lean on the laptop when typing.

As for typing whereever the cursor lies, it sounds like a feature called X-Mouse which can be described as "activation follows mouse cursor", a feature found in tweaking software such as TweakUI. Some mouse software has that feature too. Disable it if you see it.

Back