Problems starting up lately....

Ryder

Limp Gawd
I have been having problems starting up lately for no reasons at all (cause I have made no major change to the computer)...

Sometimes when I start up, I get a blue screen and it shuts off...

Other times either the loading windows screen freezes or it freezes when it gets to the Welcome screen...

I want to know whats wrong :( But obviously these errors dont happen everytime because I am typing this now...

Oh yea and I used to be able to use my keyboard when it asks me which method I would like to use to start Windows (after the reboot after an error) and the keyboard wont work...

1) Bad memory, try running Memtest
2) Failing hard drive, run the diag tool from the drive maker's website.
3) Failing motherboard, try updating the BIOS or reflashing with current version. Replace if problems continue.

Um, ok.

I went to WD myself and the "Quick Test" passed... As I dont have hours right now to run the extended test, I can't right now.

I had no clue what Memtest was.

Ryder said:
And... I don't have a floppy drive for Memtest...
That's why they conventiently offer a CD image right on the page I linked you to.

I dont have a floppy.

I dont have software to make a bootable ISO... so what now?

Well I had Nero but now it freezes when I goto the burning rom... wtf is up!

Ryder said:
I dont have a floppy.

I dont have software to make a bootable ISO... so what now?
Do you have any burning software at all? The iso image is just that, it's an image...meaning everything you need is contained in the file already. You just need regular burning software.

Nope none, not after my Nero tore up... It crashes right when I open it now (didn't used to :()

jubei said:
If you're going to be a condescending douche, why even bother posting?

You can also use Prime95 to check for memory errors which doesn't make you use a disk.

1) Spend more time here, or work in corporate IT doing desktop support for a while, then you'll understand.
2) It's not very accurate to test for memory errors while the OS is running, which is why Memtest is better for the job.

Ok im just really wondering why Nero isnt working now at all even when I reinstall it...

djnes said:
1) Spend more time here, or work in corporate IT doing desktop support for a while, then you'll understand.
2) It's not very accurate to test for memory errors while the OS is running, which is why Memtest is better for the job.

Lol, I just noticed you worked at HP. Comfort.

jubei said:
Lol, I just noticed you worked at HP. Comfort.
And thankfully not doing desk side support anymore. As Grimmda will tell you, I clean trays in the cafeteria :D

Ryder said:
Ok im just really wondering why Nero isnt working now at all even when I reinstall it...
Bad memory and/or a failing hard drive can result in random freezes. But that's just one possible cause.

Ryder said:

Ok, if things stop working when you are reinstalling them, it may just be a failing HD or bad RAM. This happend to me about a day ago. Things worked fine then I had to reinstall BF2 and I would get errors. In fact, everything I tried to reinstall got screwed up somehow...if it even installed in the first place. I finally tried reinstalling windows and it wouldn't go, so I replaced the HD and everything is fine now. At least I'll have a nice storage drive when I get my replacement from seagate :) Warranties rule :)

Well the diag tool says my hard drive is ok

I ran memtest and it passed one time and i only let it run one time...

IDK what the prob is now. Im gettin pissed cuz it did it just now on that restart....

I got so much shit on here I dont want to reformat...

About the keyboard issue, how do you set your keyboard to be able to be used before windows comes up?

What did the bluescreen say when it happened? You should check event viewer too see if you have any errors their.

If you want a cd with all these diag programs you should consider ultimate bootdisk for future use. It's a great tool with all those programs built in.

Ryder said:
Well the diag tool says my hard drive is ok

I ran memtest and it passed one time and i only let it run one time...

IDK what the prob is now. Im gettin pissed cuz it did it just now on that restart....

I got so much shit on here I dont want to reformat...

About the keyboard issue, how do you set your keyboard to be able to be used before windows comes up?

Yeah, the seagate tool said mine was fine as well, but it wasn't by a long shot :) Even if it isn't the drive, I'd seriously think about reformating. I know it's a huge pain and I can't think of anybody that likes doing it, but it's one of those maintanance things that must be done every now and again.

I think I might reformat today then... I dont have too much stuff just alot of games.

I seriously hope its not the drive cause I just hate taking things out.

Ok what about the keyboard issue? I suspect it is in the BIOS since I flashed my BIOS and that started happening too.

Ryder said:
I think I might reformat today then... I dont have too much stuff just alot of games.

I seriously hope its not the drive cause I just hate taking things out.

Ok what about the keyboard issue? I suspect it is in the BIOS since I flashed my BIOS and that started happening too.

If you started having keyboard problems before windows even loads, then it is a mobo problem. And, if you didn't get this problem until after you flashed, I'd revert back to the older bios. Also, if you can, I'd try to put the HD in a different computer when you choose to reformat just to see if it may be the mobo.

Back