Problems since installing 5870

I just got an MSI 5870 and I've been having a few weird issues since installing it.

I took out my 8800GT (after uninstalling the drivers, rebooting to safe mode and running driver cleaner)

System booted fine, installed Catalyst 10.3 without an issue, everything seemed fine.

Now I seem to be having issues in some games.

Metro 2033 won't even launch, it freeze's during the intro movies (I did manage to launch it once, played for about 10 minutes then shut it down. It exited normally)

Just Cause 2 randomly freezes (must ALT Tab out to see "Just Cause 2 has stopped responding) message. Happens usually after 5 or so minutes of gameplay

Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead 2 seems to do the same thing as Just Cause 2 (Both game and Benchmark)

Borderlands, GTA IV (and Episodes from Liberty City), Bad Company 2, Half Life 2 Episode 2, ArmA II and Call of Pripyat seem to run without a problem, haven't had any crashes while playing those (Other than one in Call of Pripyat which I believe was related to ATI Tray Tools).

What really worries me is I've had a few BSOD crashes, one gave me a "Page Fault in Non Paged Area"

I've done some minor overclocking, but am not sure if this is causing the problem

Dont go by software readouts on the power supply. They are ok to try to gauge but no way 100% accurate.

Um, that 12v line on power supply seems way too high. What power supply are you using?

Well that power supply seems to be fine. But I cant understand is why your 12V line is so high. Well, mine doesnt even work on my CPUID. I wonder what could be an issue lol

I haven't encountered any more BSOD crashes since doing a complete uninstall of all the display drivers and reinstalling but the games are still crashing.

I have no idea what could be going on. I ran the Heaven Benchmark 2.0 a few times and it ran just fine, it did crash once but other than that no issues. I tried to run the Stone Giant benchmark and it won't even launch.

I don't think it's a hardware problem (I hope it isnt at least...)

I think I might do that (luckily tmrw is my day off)

I do NOT look forward to redownloading 100GB of games from STEAM

The only other Hard Drive I have is that 40gb one a buddy gave me, so I have no where to back it up. Not that big of a deal, at least my ISP doesn't impose bandwidth limits

oh, there is a way to shrink volume in windows 7 so that way you can split 1 hard into 2 partitions. That way you can actually keep all your steam stuff on one partition and format the other partition lol

I just had this with TDU.

Game took 30 hours to play. (not straight 30 hours...)

About 24 hours in, game can't last 5 min without a GSOD... Sometimes just loading the game and getting to the menu would be a BSOD/GSOD...

After maybe a half-dozen crash/reboots, it was back to rock-solid stable...

Don't know what happened...

Well, I did a reformat and fresh install of Windows. I'm going to swap out my 8800GT and see if the problem goes away

I think the 5870 is bad, it's the only thing I can think of. What I don't understand is why some games seem to play fine, or the game will play fine for several minutes and then crash. If the card was bad would they launch at all?

I just had this with TDU.

Game took 30 hours to play. (not straight 30 hours...)

About 24 hours in, game can't last 5 min without a GSOD... Sometimes just loading the game and getting to the menu would be a BSOD/GSOD...

After maybe a half-dozen crash/reboots, it was back to rock-solid stable...

Don't know what happened...

Well, this just happened to me. Have been playing games for the past day or so without a single issue, no crashes, no lockups, no BSOD, no GSOD.

I didn't change anything so I have no idea what the hell happened (only thing I did was uninstall and then redownload LFD2 to solve the crashing problem)

If you have up to date chip-set and BIOS, and have tried different drivers, then I'd say you may have to RMA your card. I know that was the case when I got my first 5870 (I'm on my second now). It stared with my games locking up, then I was getting the GSOD issue left and right. XFX replaced my card and it seems to be okay now.

if their servers were more consistent, its fine. if you can get a solid 1MB+/s then it really isn't that long.

i'd say, if after a reformat you are STILL having issues, then, make sure your PSU is powerful enough, and then consider RMA'ing the card.

you should be able to play games for HOURS, right out of the box.

Back