Problems sharing Printer on Vistax64 Machine to XP machine

sanitarium16

Limp Gawd
Im running Vista Ultimate x64 on my main computer which has a Dell 1710n laser printer and HP PSC2175 AIO Printer attached to it. I have tried sharing the printers out to my XP machine, it sees it but i keep getting an error message that it can't find the proper driver and to contact the system adminstrator. I have downloaded the XP drivers for the Dell 1710n and tried to manually install the driver when it asks on my XP computer but i keep getting the same message. What do i do to get this to work?

You can't get either printer to work? Have you also tried manually downloading the XP drivers for the HP?

They dont make a standalone printer driver for the HP. Its an installer package for XP that wont work. Neither printer will share.

Any trouble sharing files? Are there other computers on your network that can see and use the shared printers?

The 64bit drivers are probably incompatible with XP. If you try to do a start>run and then \\vistacomputername does anything come up? If not then you could also be running into some sharing setup issues on your vista box.

I have no problem sharing a canon printer on another computer running XP. It definatley is a driver related issue. I can see the vista computer and the printers but when i connect to them its asking me for a driver. I tried loading the XP driver for the Dell Laser on the XP Computer but it comes up saying its not compatible either. How do i get the XP computer to properly install the driver?

Although you're probably already doing so, I must ask, are you installing the correct driver on your XP machine? The driver you're installing needs to match the OS is going on, which is completely independent of the OS the printer is attached to. For instance, I need the Vista 64-bit driver for my box to use my wife's printer, which is attached to her XP 32-bit machine.

If you already knew that and it's still not working for you, I'm not sure what else I can say. Make sure printer sharing is enabled in Vista (which I'd guess it is if you can see the printer).

I had this exact problem and it dogged me for a few months. Finally I downloaded something on my Vista64 machine and it worked. I don't really remember what it was.

Back