Problems setting up a 2 comp network? Help Plz?

SerialThriller

Limp Gawd
hey, i have 2 computers. I'll refer to them as computer A and computer B.

Computer A and Computer B are connected via a router. There is a cable modem running into the router. Both comps can access the internet fine. And they also can ping each other.

Problem is that i cannot access one from the other while in XP. When i go into workgroup on Computer A only the name of Computer A comes up in the workgroup section. When i go into workgroup on Computer B i get both computers to show up but yet when i click on Computer A i get a prompt saying that Computer A is not accessibl and that the network path was not found.

btw, there is no firewall on either computer

Any thoughts? i could really use the help. :(

Make sure that the same username/password exists on both machines, disable both guest accounts unless you're using them, and uncheck "simple file sharing." (My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View.)

Ensure that the Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing are enabled for the LAN connection on both machines.

Go into the advanced properties of your connection's TCP/IP, under WINS, and ensure that "Enable Netbios over TCP/IP" is enabled.

Try a manual map:

Open My Computer and try navigating to \\computername -- if that doesn't work try \\IP

how do i ensure that the Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing are enabled for the LAN connection on both machines? as in where is this option located?

Try right click mouse on your hard drive in My Computer, then go to Sharing

SerialThriller said:
how do i ensure that the Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing are enabled for the LAN connection on both machines? as in where is this option located?

In the properties of your LAN connection; Make sure it's installed where it lists TCP/IP and the rest and then make sure it's checked.

well tks Orinthical. You helped a lot. Now i have one comp that works great on the network but the other does not.

comp1 can take files off comp2 and access it freely, but comp2 cannot access comp1 although it can see comp1 and recognizes it. I get the error msg about a network path was not found and i might not have sufficient access blah blah blah.

Any ideas about this problem?

networking is set up fine and tcp/ip seems fine. This is a permissions problem.

First, are you saying you log into both computers with same name and pass? I suggest logging in with a different account for each computer. On computer A create an account witht he same username/passs as computer B. On computer B create an account with the same user/pass as computer A. (control panel/admin tools/comp mngmnt/user groups)

At the share(s) add the user account for both A&B on the sharing tab AND the security tab. (simple file sharing turned off)

Good luck.

If you created a user account on computer1 that is the same as computer2 and are trying to use the "admin shares" (i.e. c$, d$, etc) then make sure all user accounts in question are members of the administrators group and not users/limited users.

Right-click on My Computer, select Manage and go to Local Users and Groups, select Groups then double-click on Administrators. You should see your accounts there, if not then you should add them. Adding a user to the group should be self explanatory but if you need steps let me know.

If you are trying to get the user on computer2 to access a specific share on computer1 make sure that he has both share-level and file/folder level rights to it specifically. Right-click on the folder/item you wish to share, go to Security and make sure the user name is listed in there. If not, add them and give them the appropriate level of permission you wish.

well...it seems when i try to add a user to administrators section on either computer it says that the name cannot be found.

Also, the users under the Administrators tab are different on both comps (except for the administrator of course), so this may very well be the problem. But when i try to fix it the comp just wont have it.

Is there anything i can do to change this? Reinstall? etc?

clean install will fix your problem... :rolleyes: of course a really strong magnet near your hard drive will have the same effect on your data.

an "upgrade" or "repair" install will do *nothing* tho.

These are some of the Error and Warning messages found in the event viewer...

REM is the workgroup...and the comps are Remora1 and Remora2. Remora1 is the working one while Remora2 is not.

~The name "REM :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.1.102. The machine with the IP address 192.168.1.101 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.(Error Msg)

~Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 192.168.1.102 on the Network Card with network address 00301BB36AB5.(Error Msg)

~Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00301BB36AB5. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.(Warning Msg)

~The browser was unable to promote itself to master browser. The computer that currently believes it is the master browser is REMORA2.(Error Msg)

The above were error messaages on Remora1here are some on Remora2....

~The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer REMORA1 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{BD401FB8-3AE2-4BAB-A. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.(Error)

~The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152 seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.(Warning)

~Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 000D88424499. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.(Warning)

~The browser was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\REMORA1 on the network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{BD401FB8-3AE2-4BAB-ADAE-F8E884374CED}. The data is the error code.(Warning)

~The name "REM :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.1.101. The machine with the IP address 192.168.1.102 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.(Error)

Any explanations of these messages or ways to fix the problem that i have been having for like a week now is greatly appreciated, as are those who have already responded.

Any thoughts?

Do you have ICS running on Remora2?

Also, check the MAC addresses on both machines and see if they are the same. If that are then you have a problem and will need to replace the network card in one of the computers.

If that's not the case then you may want to check your DHCP logs on the router and see what that machine is at 192.168.1.101 or see if there is are duplicate entries for Remora1, if so then you'll need to delete the duplicate entries and then /release/renew Remora1.

You could also try disabling DHCP on your router and statically assigning IP addresses to your machines and see if that helps.

Also, try this:

nslookup ramora1
nslookup ramora2

Then nslookup the ip address of each -- do they match both ways?

1) How do i enable ICS? i do not think i have it enabled, but not sure.

2)The MAC addresses are both different

3) There were duplicate entries, and i fixed that.

4)Also, how would i assign static IPs to my machines? I know how to disable the DHCP on the router but it doesnt seem to have much effect, and it still says DHCP is enabled on the machines themselves.

5)Lastly, How would i do the nslookup?

What is ICS?

nslook it is a command line's command.
just go to run/cmd and type the required command in there.

DHCP you disable in TCP/IP properties on each PC, I think. then you write down static IP and probably default gateway.

ICS is Internet Connection Sharing

and...do i do nslookup/the comp name in the cmd line?

and btw, in my TCP/IP Advanced settings i cant see a button to disable the DHCP and there is nothing listed under default Gateways on both comps

and...Would MAC cloning cause any problems? i am not too sure of what it is but it is listed in my router set up.

When you click on TCP/IP properties in Local Area Connection, in General, you have got an option: Use the following IP address: You must tick it, then type in the static IP address, then subnetmask and default gateway.
You have to do this on each of your PCs.

Not sure it will help but it is worth a try.

man...this problem is becoming a real nightmare.

If anyone thinks they have a good amount of knowledge on this subject and wouldn't mind chatting so i can get this fixed faster i would greatly appreciate it. Just leave an AIM sn.

Don't have any messengers installed I'm afraid --- don't believe in them anymore and it's my wedding day today so I couldn't chat anyhow. =)

ICS is Internet Connection Sharing, which has been said before. It should be disabled since you are using a router -- if it is enabled on any of your machines.

Do you have any other internet devices plugged into your network that may have a duplicate MAC?

Go to start, run and type in cmd then hit ok

type nslookup remora1

This should result in an IP address on your local network. If so, nslookup the ip (like nslookup 192.168.xxx.xxx) which should result in Remora1 -- do the same for Remora2.

If you are still getting those errors in the event log, do an nslookup on those devices and see if you can find out what is possibly interfering with your PC. (i.e. nslookup 192.168.1.101)

To assign a "static IP" to your machine, first write down your DNS servers. They can be found by going to "cmd" as mentioned before and typing "ipconfig /all"

(Do this after you have disabled DHCP on the router.)

Once you have the DNS servers written down, go ahead and go to the properties of your internet connection on remora1. Highlight TCP/IP and then select Properties. In the IP Address field, give your computer an IP address within the range of your router. For instance if your current subnet scheme is 192.168.1.x then assign it 192.168.1.20 and repeat for the second computer just with a different IP address. Fill in the DNS information with the appropriate servers then go to advanced, WINS, and make sure that "Enabled NETBIOS over TCP/IP" is checked. Then hit OK, OK, Close and reboot the computers for good measure.

Congrats on the Wedding :)

Anyways, ICS is disabled on all computers.

There are no duplicate MACs. The only thing is the MAC cloning i mentioned earlier that is in the router settings.

When i do the nslookup i get messages saying that it cant find the server for the address, No response from server and Default Servers not available.

I have assigned static IP addys to both comps and still no change in terms of the networking.

well....shit

seems i fixed the problem by doing probably the last thing i wanted to do....format the drive on pc1.

best idea i can come up with is that there was something wrong with the TCP/IP, like it was corrupt er sumthing.

Anyways there is still something a lil screwy i wanted to ask about, on both comps under network connections i have a 1394 (firewire) connection enabled and shared. There are no 1394 wires going between any computers or routers (or any hardware for that matter).

could anyone give me some input on this? would it be ok to disable or get rid of the 1394 connection in my network connection tab?

SerialThriller said:
well....shit

seems i fixed the problem by doing probably the last thing i wanted to do....format the drive on pc1.

best idea i can come up with is that there was something wrong with the TCP/IP, like it was corrupt er sumthing.

Anyways there is still something a lil screwy i wanted to ask about, on both comps under network connections i have a 1394 (firewire) connection enabled and shared. There are no 1394 wires going between any computers or routers (or any hardware for that matter).

could anyone give me some input on this? would it be ok to disable or get rid of the 1394 connection in my network connection tab?

Sorry to hear things came to that, but sometimes we have to do the unavoidable. My nic and 1394 are bridged together by ics--I don't know quite why the firewire is bridged, but the setup works, and I've learned, finally, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

B

hmmm, thing is though i have no firewire anywhere in my house so how could there be a connection....

well, if anyone knows anymore about this plz post, it doesnt make sense...

SerialThriller said:
well....shit

would it be ok to disable or get rid of the 1394 connection in my network connection tab?

The 1394 connection is your firewire port and I would recommend you just leave it. =) Deleting/disbaling it may disable your firewire port all together, which I'd imagine you don't want.

As for the possability of a corrupt TCP/IP protocal set, well that's possible... but if that were so you'd most likely be seeing problems elsewhere. If the problem was a corrupt system file/subset then it was most likely Client for Microsoft Networks. For future reference, you can remove any of those by unchecking it then hitting delete from inside the properties of your network connection. Reboot and then hit "add" from inside the properties and such to get it back.

Glad you fixed it by reformatting though -- sometimes you just can't win with computers; for even though they are based upon logic... they are often not quite so logical.

Back