Problems running software under VMware.

I was trying to run sold old games under VMware with XPpro on it when i kept getting errors saying "Sorry, this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine". Is it a problem with the way i have set up the guest os or is it some sort of software protection put in by the developer? Either way, im looking for input on a workaround for such a problem, if anyone could help me.

It's not a VMware problem, it's an issue with the application you are running.
The application checks whether it's running in a VM and refuses to run if it finds a VM.

Depending on how they implemented that check you may be able to run it in some obscure virtualization solutions, or perhaps a different VMware product (you didn't say which VMware product you are using).

what game are you trying to run? What guest OS, what Host OS, what vmware product?

I'm curious to know what games you were trying to play. I find it hard to imagine that these "old" games were programmed to detect if they were running in a virtual machine since system VMs are and were not common outside of businesses and enthusiasts.

or it could be because runing an OS within VM ware does not give you dedicated graphics card support instead it uses a VM driver, thus why it can not run.

Sorry for lack of information, i'm specifically trying to run System Shock 2 and Dungeon keeper since they have compat problems on vista64. Host OS is vista64/guest is XP pro, and im using VMware workstation 6.5.

you are not goijg to be able to do this due to the graphical limitations on VMs

The 2 games in question DO work under Vmware 6.5, i just personally can't get them to work. I can run other games on them no problem.

you are not goijg to be able to do this due to the graphical limitations on VMs

workstation 6.5 supports DX9c graphics, including almost full 3d acceleration, if you have the hardware behind it to match.

OP: This should work. Where do you get the error?

I'm wondering if he's installed VMWare tools or not, and if so, if Tools is telling him he can't run it in a VM because the calls being made to the directx 9.0c APIs are being detected, and exceed the capabilities of the virtual hardware. Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed, and VMWare tools, as well. Also, you are running Wrokstation 6.5, (and not 6.0) correct?

I'm wondering if he's installed VMWare tools or not, and if so, if Tools is telling him he can't run it in a VM because the calls being made to the directx 9.0c APIs are being detected, and exceed the capabilities of the virtual hardware. Do you have DirectX 9.0c installed, and VMWare tools, as well. Also, you are running Wrokstation 6.5, (and not 6.0) correct?

Good thought. Generally it only seems to complain about only having an SVGA card though... dunno. Workstation isn't my specialty.

sabregen was correct VMware tools was not installed. I had put on a fresh install of XP and i forgot to install it, but everything is working now.

Silly problem but its all fixed now ;)

sabregen was correct VMware tools was not installed. I had put on a fresh install of XP and i forgot to install it, but everything is working now.

Silly problem but its all fixed now ;)

I'll add that to my black book of solutions :)

was it the game that complained about running in a vm, vmware workstation, windows xp, or what?

The idea of programs being able to tell if they are inside VM's is wicked lame.

was it the game that complained about running in a vm, vmware workstation, windows xp, or what?

The idea of programs being able to tell if they are inside VM's is wicked lame.
Some programs like TheMida give code protection so they cannot be run in Virtual computers, due to reverse engineering, even if it was 100% virtualized. The two problems i had though was due to VMware tools not being installed for some reason.

Back