Problems pinging remote server/workstation but can ping L3 switch

techtips

Gawd
Joined
Jan 3, 2011
Messages
530
Hey everybody, so we have a remote location being setup at work. The remote location has a functioning network but now we are trying to connect the work and remote network together.

To start off, here are the issues we are experiencing.

Our network:
Can ping remote network to L3 switch only. Cannot ping their server(s) and workstations

Remote Network
Can ping our L3 switch(HP Procurve) and servers without an issue.
We have a default IP route setup of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 and the remote site claims they have a default route setup also.

I've been pulling my hair about this issue all day. Seems that since they can ping us, our switch is configured properly and our routes are setup fine. But since we are having problems getting to their server but we can get their L3 switch to respond, it seems like it could be the remote location Layer 3 switch configuration that is not setup.

Any suggestions? Am I right to think that their switch and it's configuration could be the issue?
 
Well I just contacted my coworker and he mentioned we nor they are using ACL's at all

I know the next thing is firewall that somebody will mention, but they dropped their firewall on their end for testing.

I wish it was that easy :-(
 
are the ip ranges in different subnets?

how are the two networks connected?
 
what about the nat, they have that set in the switch?

I am waiting for my co-worker to get back to me...he might know. If not we will have to contact the remote company tomorrow and find out, but could NAT really affect something like this?

are the ip ranges in different subnets?

how are the two networks connected?

To be clear, the remote site is a company that will be connecting to our server, so with this I am guessing they are going to be in different IP ranges as this is a completely different network and company from us..
 
Last edited:
I am waiting for my co-worker to get back to me...he might know. If not we will have to contact the remote company tomorrow and find out, but could NAT really affect something like this?



To be clear, the remote site is a company that will be connecting to our server, so with this I am guessing they are going to be in different IP ranges as this is a completely different network and company from us..

why would you assume that? a lot of companies would have the same IP range. When it comes to private ranges there are only so many to pick from. If you look at something like people using a business connection from a certain provider and using the default range of the equipment you end up with a lot using something like 192.168.0.x or 192.168.1.x

Like I asked, how are you trying to connect to each other?

Are you trying to setup a IPSec bridge between both networks? are they just trying to access some public server you have setup? do you have a dedicated link between both companies that you are trying to route through?
 
Sorry, I am new to networking in the work enviroment. It's a bit different then what I am used to in a class enviroment.

The only problem about giving info on how they are connected is I was told not to mention anything as this is a very restricted project with other companies connecting our servers to complete work.

I will have to ask around for some more info and do my best to explain it further tomorrow. Sorry for the lack of information, but most of it I am getting from my coworker as I am new to the project site itself.
 
I can understand the need for stuff to be restrictive.

but unless we know how the networks are connected we can't really help you.

If they are trying to access your public IPs can can't that is one issue, if you have an IPSec tieing both network together that is another. And if both networks are directly connected with a dedicated link and routing that is yet another.

by not knowing that stuff there isn't any way for us to even start to really help you solve your issue.

that is like saying my car won't start, why? Well, depending on what it does when you try to start it, could be a dead battery, could be that you are out of gas, could be that you don't have a key for the car, could be that the engine is missing, could be that car isn't a real car but a matchbox car... All we know is that you a car, and you can't start it.

Same here, you have a network, they have a network, something on one network can't talk to something other the other.

I don't want you giving any IPs, i wouldn't sit here and tell you any of my IP either.

If your are trying to talk to only their public servers then it wouldn't matter what your internal IPs are. however that then means you need to figure where things are being blocked. Are you getting to the opposite side of their router on the same side of the network as their servers? if you can, then have them run wireshark or something like that and watch to see if your pings at least make it to the server. maybe they are blocking something to limit who can access their public servers.

if doing anything that has both intenal talking to each other need to make sure both are on different subnets if you are trying to route data between them. Also again need to start by trying to access the opposite side of the router for that network and make sure you are actually getting to the network. Then again have them check to see if you are even talking to the servers.
 
Code:
ip nat inside source static tcp <inside ip> <inside port> <outside ip> <outside port> extendable

If its not a Cisco device then see what you need to configure for port forwarding.
 
Thanks guys, my co-worker followed up with the 3rd party last night and they were still working on it. We have determined it's their switch at fault through a few processes. Not sure when they will resolve it as they have their network guys taking this on.

I will update the thread with what they did to correct it...wish I had more info in this topic myself because networking is where I want to be.
 
Back
Top