Problems OC'ing a 3500+ Venice

MrToilet

Weaksauce
I can't seem to get this CPU stable during heavy gaming. I'm using Corsair XMS3200 C2 memory (I know, not the best OC'ing RAM, but not bad either), an Asus A8N32 motherboard, Enermax 500W Liberty PSU, and EVGA 7900 GT KO (N584, the new one) so the other components are solid.

My problem is after I OC to 2.6 gHz, whenever I stress the CPU (heavy gaming, stress tests, Prime95, etc) the computer freezes with an audio loop. At first I thought it was the video card, but when I run the CPU at stock speeds and voltages the computer runs and games just fine. The only variables that change are the CPU (FSB, multiplier, voltage) and memory divider.

btw, I'm trying to run the memory as close to spec as possible, and I still can't get it stable:

Here's a rundown of what I've tried:
CPU @ 300x9, at 1.4 and 1.5 V, memory on the 133 divider (200 mHz) at stock speeds, 2.8 V; froze up.
CPU @ 240x11, 1.4 and 1.5 V, memory on the 166 divider (~200 mHz), 2.8 V, SPD and 2-3-3-6, 2-3-3-8 latencies- froze up.

Any other ideas? Maybe I just got a bum CPU? Hard to believe, but maybe?

Thanks for any help.

might be a wall in the processor

what is your command rate

CPC try to disable it or turn it to 2

Okay, I guess my CPU can't get over 2.6 gHz. I have it set at 235x11, so ~2.56 gHz, and everything's stable with memory @ 213 (DDR 426), 2-3-3-6 timings. I'm kind of disappointed that I can't go higher, but I guess a free 15% performance gain isn't bad...

I'm thinking about shifting this CPU to my HTPC build and buying an X2 or Opteron. How are the X2's with overclocking? Would I be better off getting an Opteron 165?

What is your HT link set to? At those speeds, you should try setting it to 3x if you haven't done so already.

S0m30n3 said:
Have you tried setting the pcie bus to 101mhz

Would that make a difference? I didn't think the PCI-E bus mattered too much to CPU overclocks...

Smoove910 said:
What is your HT link set to? At those speeds, you should try setting it to 3x if you haven't done so already.

I've tried the HT Link @ 3x and 4x, and can't the CPU stable at speeds higher than 2.6 ghz. Is it better to run the FSB (I know, I know, it's not FSB) slower with a higher multiplier, so you don't stress the rest of the components, vs a higher FSB/lower multiplier? (for example my 235x11 vs. 300x8, 290x9, etc).

That all depends on your motherboard and processor and if they allow it. I would opt for the higher "FSB" and lower multi as opposed to the high multi and low "FSB". In my situation, I cannot achive an HTT any higher that 260-265-sh, so to get 2.8ghz oc, I have to use the higher multi.

Back