problems loggin into ftp server

Asian Fury

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm at college right now and I use a computer at home as an ftp server. I have GuildFTP as the server program on that computer and SmartFTP on my computer that connects to it. Up til yesterday it worked out great for me. I dl'ed stuff at home and FTP'ed it back my computer at college. But yesterday for some reason SmartFTP stopped being able to build a data connection to the FTP server and as a result I can't access the folders and files I had shared. Can anyone think of a reason why that would happen? I'm open to suggestion but I figure ultimately I'll have to reinstall the server on the computer or something of that nature.

well perhaps since 2 days ago they implemented firewall rules to stop ftp connections, That is the reason you ask them.

yeah if it just stoped working they noticed that port connection and blocked it :eek:

at which point it could be a good idea to try a different port number for your ftp server ;)

sparkles said:
at which point it could be a good idea to try a different port number for your ftp server ;)

If the school blocked him, they did it for a reason, changing port numbers is circumventing the restriction which is against the forum rules.

Not to mention it could actually get him in more trouble with the school by doing it, so its *not* a good idea.

well its says that i'm connected to the ftp server, but it can't build a data connection. if the port was blocked i wouldn't be connecting to it would i

its says this "
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls (243 bytes).
Connection closed. Server timeout.
425 Can't build data connection."

Asian Fury said:
its says this "
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls (243 bytes).
Connection closed. Server timeout.
425 Can't build data connection."

does the ftp server have a static ip address? is it behind a router?

No it has a dynamic ip and is behind a router. i use dyndns so i don't have to bother with checking the ip's and a prog called dyndns updater to load the new ip to the dyndns data base. I have my router forwarding all the stuff coming in on port 3389 (ftp) to the ftp server which has an internal ip of 192.168.1.125, so far it worked but then it just stopped building the data connection.

Back