Problems installing XP to SATA drives

Ryland

2[H]4U
Over the weekend I worked on upgrading my Asus A8V Deluxe, 6800GT, AMD 64 3400+ to an eVGA 7800GT, eVGA Nforce4 SLI board, AMD X2 4200+. My system had been running off of a SATA Raid0 array but when I go to install XP Pro or XP64 the machine just keeps rebooting after windows is installed. XP Pro shows "Mup.sys" and XP64 shows "APICTABL.DLL" as the last line when starting in Safe Mode. I checked to make sure it wasn't the CPU by dropping back to my 3400+.

I can install windows XP Pro to a PATA drive without issue. After I got windows installed I installed the chipset drivers and it was able to see my SATA raid array, create partitions and format it. I then attempted to Ghost my install to the SATA array but it ended up failing.

I know my SATA drives are fine because I was using them Saturday morning before I made the hardware upgrade.

Ideas?

I wouldn't think this would be the problem nowadays but back when XP first came out my father-in-law asked me to help him install some of his apps from his old machine to his new XP pc he had just purchased. Well, most of the things installed just fine but after installing some software for his digital camera which was also fairly new, XP just kept rebooting. At first I didn't realize it had something to do with the camer software as I just thought that XP was a piece of crap at the time but after trying to reinstall everything about 3 times and having the exact same problem each time I tried on my fourth time not installing the camera software and everything went fine after that.

Afterwards I went tot he cameras website and found out that they did indeed have a driver problem at the time. XP didn't like their driver. So my suggestion would be to make sure that any drivers you have for your SATA drives or raid array are current. I seriously doubt this is the problem but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

I even went so far as to download the 6.70 chipset drivers and pull the SATA Raid drivers out of their install package.

I was able to install to a PATA drive then installed the 6.70 chipset drivers which allowed me to partition and format the SATA array. I then tried ghosting the windows install from the PATA to the SATA array but it failed (early saturday morning I had ghosted my windows install from the SATA array to a PATA disk as backup from my Asus motherboard).

Since windows installed on a PATA disk I think I can rule out the standards, bad memory, bad processor. Right?

The solution was to disable Bios Shadowing. What this has to do with installing XP to a SATA raid array I have no idea, but it fixed my problem.

Back