Problems installing XP on laptop

ne0-reloaded

[H]ard|Gawd
I've reformatted my brothers laptop (compaq presario 1400 series) and tried to install XP on it. I've tried XP Home and Pro. During the GUI part of the installation, I get a BSOD with the following error:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xFA991509, OxFB2D79E0, 0xFB2D76E0)

*** sysaudio.sys - Address FA991509 base at FA98A000, Datestamp 3d6de2dd

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your sysem administrator....for assistance"

I've installed xp on it before, so I know it works. I installed 2000 Pro and it works, but compaq doesnt have ehternet, modem, or audio drivers online for it. any help would be appreciated. thanks

ne0, yer windows is obviously trying to access a file called sysaudio.sys. Just locate that file and erase it, or put a empty txt file named sysaudio.sys. it'll let you bypass that part of the installation.

Also, check and make sure that yer laptop does not have any compatibility issues. get the drivers from www.driversguide.com (if you can't get a geniune compaq driver.)

Good Luck.

I made an iso, found the file, deleted it, and rebuild the image. tried installing again and got the same error at the same spot. i deleted it from drivers.cab, but im assuming its sysaudio.sys is in more one location. u know of a program that can search archives for a specific file name?

thanks

Back