Problems installing Windows 7 x64

Kevin5255

Limp Gawd
Hey all, I recently bought windows 7 from softwareking because i was impatient. I read all the good reviews and it's 100% legit so I figure I should go for it.

I download the image and the code and everything seemed just fine. But and after trying to install it countless times I get the same error on the first startup. I've tried installing from a virtual drive, a USB drive, booting straight from the DVD (burned iso), I've even tried installing on different HD's; It tells me a critical system driver is corrupt or missing, and gives me this:

error 0x0000221

critical system driver is corrupt or missing blah blah blah
$WINDOWS.^BT\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\Ntfs.sys

So I guess it's a problem with the Ntfs.sys driver. I've done a bunch of google searches for the error code and the driver but none of the cases seem to match mine. I recently rebuilt my computer with a new mobo, and since then my vista x64 is refusing to activate. It must be the new mobo, so I got windows 7. Is my un-activated version of vista to blame for the install error? I've even tried reformatting and installing over my current windows partition, but only to get the same error in the end and have to do a system restore.

EDIT: I've even tried finding a different .iso, but I can't find any other legal ones.

If you tried a clean install on a different hard drive then it isn't the Vista install. If you have a legit key for the software then you can use another person's copy of 7 to do the install and use your key as long as it is the same version type. IE if they give you a retail copy then any other retail copy DVD would work, if they gave you an OEM version then any other OEM version would work..

I'm thinking they gave you a bad ISO. I'm assuming you tried to redownload the file correct?

I'm downloading a new image from Microsoft so hopefully it'll clear up the problem. Ill try and figure out how to check those SHA1 hashes and update later

UPDATE:

found a new HD laying around and did a clean install, everything went perfectly. Must have been the previous vista install.

Last edited:
Back